Beavers Wanted (I think)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Nov 26, 2003.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

:dance: I have lots of good underground water springs that come to the surface on my farm running year round. They all come together on the lower corner of my property where there is plenty of trees, and youpon brush. Pools that have formed from fallen trees restricting the flow of water leaving my property have caused small water falls, with the noise of rushing water. I have thought about hireing a dozer to come build a pond, but it would destroy so much of my pine timber. Then I thought about getting a couple of pair of beavers, they couldn't resist the natural water falls, and I would have deeper ponds, for fishing, and duck hunting. QUESTION: How do you contact a beaver trapper to get the beavers?

2. QUESTION: How do you contact a beaver trapper to get the beavers?[/QUOTE]

Surely there would be a listing in the yellow pages.

Swampcomic

3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

What do you think beavers do if not destroy timber?

Beavers are pests and a few years after you get them you'll be asking how to get rid of them.

You've got a perfect location for a small pond there at the confluence of the creeks from your springs.

Since you have lots of timber you can afford to lose some to a well-constructed pond, which will raise the value of your property greatly and provide a real fishing and hunting area.

Beavers will do nothing for you but make a mess and destroy your trees.

But if you have a pond dug, be sure you create a good spillway to handle the inevitable and heavy overflow combined with the creeks when the rains come.

4. Diana K

Diana K Active Member

Case has hit the nail on the head!!! Beavers are extremelu destructive and you will most certainly want to get rid of them. We are right now having the conservation department comming out helping us trap and relocate them. They have destroyed acres of trees and have built dams that is causing the lake and spill way to not operate properly. When we get a flood the beaver dams are washed down to the spillway. The spill way is a constant cleanup. Not only that they leave trees all along the bank that has to be cleaned up.

But if you really want beavers then ask your conservation department as I am sure they know people who would like to see them live somewhere else.

5. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Never invite a vampire into your house or a beaver onto your property :D ! I recently posted about our beaver problem. If only I could shove the little buggers in a box and send them to someone who wants them! I agree that they will only give you grief. Almost all of my beautiful apple trees are gone because of them. I don't know if you have an extension agency nearby, but if you do they might offer a water management seminar. Our local agency has one every year. Good luck!

6. Case

Case Well-Known Member

7. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Beavers are a pest!!!!!!
    I have on a regular basis been contacted to trap and destroy beavers that get into farm ponds and destroy the property owners trees and levies. Once you have beavers it is an exremely long process to get rid of them and when you think you are finally rid of them 1 or 2 more will move in and the process starts all over again.
    Took me almost 4 years of steady trapping and shooting on sight to finnaly rid one of my customers from beavers. The largest one I killed went almost 60 lbs.
    My customer and I thought we had the last one trapped this spring but he called about a month ago and said that he has beavers again! So the process starts all over again :mad: .
    So why do you want beavers when with a little labor and planning you can do the same thing and save yourself a lot of heart aches and head aches!
    Brett