Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beavers chew through cable, knock out Internet service to 900 customers

Also I found this article interesting I am sure you will like it ....

how rare is a brown panda|world's only Brown panda|

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
1,469 Posts
Our electrical power was acting weird (lights getting bright then dim all over the house) and I checked the voltage. It was going up to about 130 volts and then down to about 110 volts, then back up, randomly.

I called the power company.

Squirrels had chewed the bare overhead neutral power line in two between the pole-mounted transformer and my electric meter at my house.

The normal 120-volt power that feeds appliances was having to find it's way from my breaker panel, down to my house's ground rod, then through the dirt the ground rod at the power pole and transformer to close the circuit.

The repair guy said that they see it all the time.

Dirt is not nearly as good a conductor as metal wire, but it will do in a pinch.

·
Sock puppet reinstated
24,535 Posts
Tumbler Ridge is somewhere I have visited 30 years ago but this seems to be a spam post to get people to a certain site for some reason.

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
Our knock outs have not happened because of wildlife but twice in the past two years with road construction workers severing the cables and cutting all internet (and thus business) for one and two days.

·
Premium Member
26,628 Posts
The second article would make more sense if they used a picture of the actual Qizai instead of a red panda. Another example of ignorance in reporting.

We lost all power once when a squirrel chewed through the wires on top of a transformer. The squirrel never chewed through wires again. It took months for it's carcass to get blown off the transformer.

CBS News ran practically the same article about the beavers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts