Beaver stealing fruit trees

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MelissaW, Nov 21, 2003.

1. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I went back to the pond today to see why the yard is not draining into it properly, and was shocked to see the damage caused by beavers in just two weeks (I've been sick, and have not been back since then). They have completely chopped down and stolen two apple trees from the old orchard, and have also taken a willow that was probably 20 feet tall! I couldn't find a dam, so I called our neighbor and sure enough he found a good sized one just over the property line where our pond drains into his. Does anyone know how a person can go about borrowing traps or finding someone who traps them? Is there a season in Ohio on trapping? Should I wrap the trunks of the remaining fruit trees with chicken wire, or will they chew through that too? I'm just sick about it. There is a whole forest full of trees just 50 feet away from that pond, and those nasty buggers have to go and take my apple tree! :mad:

2. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

contact your state trappers association. i'll find some contact info & post it. you might have to trade out permission to trap other furbears like mink, coon, fox & coyote. also if you get the chance shoot them they are delicious.

3. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll try that! I called my husband at work to tell him and he just can't wait to get back there with his gun. This might be a problem. When crows were eating our corn, he was constantly armed. One night while we were eating dinner he suddenly jumped up, grabbed his 22, yanked open the window, hung out and started shooting. He didn't hit one that time, but he still gets a crazy look in his eye when crows are hanging around! I guess he'll be spending the weekend sitting in a lawnchair in the orchard waiting for the furry critters. Don't tell HIM they're delicious, or he might just slap one down on the counter and expect me to clean it!!!

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Dont toss out those beaver pelts. Remember the Astor Fortune was built on Beaver fur. You might end up a millionaire . I can remember my dad jumping up from the table at supper time to take a pot shot at raccoons or wood chucks sneaking round his garden. You get used to it after awhile. Good luck with the beavers.

5. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

To protect your trees it will take a solid metal guard around each, the corrigated metal bolted into a tube and secured to a t-post, about 6 inches from the trunk and I'm guessing on the hight, but at least 3 feet high, I don't remember how tall beavers are. But if they can reach over, they can push in the top of the tube and still chew on the tree.

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Use a 12ga shotgun on the beavers & the crows & keep your mouth shut about it.

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

I second the use of extreme force...This summer the squirrels and birds were attacking my tomatoes....ahhh...I came so close to losing it! When you put a lot of work and time into growing delicous fruits/veggies and then something comes along and eats half of it...shoot straight!

8. Pops2

Pops2 Well-Known Member

9. Brian        N.E Ohio

Brian N.E Ohio Well-Known Member

The very best wild meat I ever ate was beaver. It was slow roasted in the oven with strips of bacon over it, wonderful. Try it once and you will throw stones at venison.

Dont get caught shooting them though, I believe it is or was against the law.

10. frank4570

frank4570 Active Member

You may want to go to the dam and hang out with the gun at sunset, well hidden of course. They will return to the dam at night and they are easy to see cruising through the water just before dark. I wouldn't waste any time getting rid of them, they can do a lot of damage real fast.

11. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

oh i do feel sorry for you. we are having beaver problems in our township and it has caused safety and road hazards for residents. don't let anyone tell you that you can trap and release these animals. this time of year if you do that they will not have time to replenish there stores of food for winter and die. we are having trouble getting the landowner to permit the pa game commmission and the township to hire someone to enter his posted property and to remove and destroy the beavers and dam. the water level has caused the road to be closed most days.

if you can enter and destroy the beavers and dam, i would do so quietly and quickly. the less your neighbors know about this the better.

good luck :)