Beautiful new little Nigie doeling!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I just added a beautiful little Nigie with bloodlines galore to my herd. She is w/o question one of the most beautiful goats I've ever seen---perfect conformation, brown chamoisee, with blue eyes. She has the calmest, most confident personality too. Her dam milked a half a gallon a day as a first freshener, which is prodigious for a Nigie.

We totally fell in love with this little girl when we went to get our Nigie buck. But she wasn't for sale. The owner, who has become my friend, had said, "I will never sell this one!" We told her, if you ever decide to, please think of us first. She is as pathetic about her goats as I am. Except she thinks I am worse, because when I spent the day with her when she was demonstrating milking at the Old Stonehouse Museum history day, I got homesick for my goats by the end of the day. I am a homebody and like my girls nearby. Sadly, a financial need came up, and she sold me the doeling this week, she is about 6 months old. She was crying, and so were her neice and nephew. I felt like I was buying their child. :Bawling:

I am trying to assimilate her into my "mini" herd slowly, because she is the smallest of all and all by herself, so to speak. So when we got her, we put her in a well-tarped pen with Pearl, our 6 month old Nigie triplet who is very calm and easy-going. There was very little butting and they seemed to get along okay. They both cried that night, Princess for her old herd, and Pearl for her mother. During the day, I put them in with the minis. It went extremely well, and the one goat I thought would be the meanest, the triplets mother, was very good with her. It might be because she is smaller than her babies? Even thought she is a few days older than the triplets, they have always been amazingly large and, um, "healthy" girls as we used to say about chunky kids. It may be because they have been dam-raised because their half-sister is as petite and delicately built as Princess is.

Of course, some of the girls were more assertive than others. By the end of the day, I noticed that while initially Pearl had been going about the pen with Princess, by nighttime feeding, she was slamming her pretty hard. Princess kept to herself most of the day, and ran to the fence whenever we appeared. But she shyed away from coming close because the other goats would come to.

She was so obviously the pampered, well-loved, totally secure daughter of the other herd, this must be quite strange for her.

I didn't want to leave her with them at night because they are all together in an open area in a large goat shed, about 10 goats. So I put her back into the tarped pen with the dog house in it, this time with Topaz, another one of the Nigie triplets. Topaz cried and cried, and her mother called for her---she didn't do that for Pearl, which I found strange. Princess cried with her for a while, not as bad as the night before though.

Is there anyway I can make this transition any easier for Princess? She is so petite! I have some 6 month old dairy girls in with the minis because the herd queen of my larger dairy goats was bullying them bigtime. I don't want her to get hurt.

Sigh. This is one of the things that I hate. Their tones sound so much like a human baby's that it really gets to me.

2. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Uh, pictures please?? :eek:)

3. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, the stresses of new goats! We've only been adding adults and boy they can hit each other hard! And it's so hard to tell who's gonna be nice!

She sounds beautiful and glad you got her!

4. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I would love to post pictures of her (and of my new bucks) but my Kodak program is on the fritz due to not enough free memory on my computer. As soon as I get that fixed, I will be able to download AND post pictures!

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I got my three bucklings on the same day, one (the ND) is 6 months old and is reeking very "ready", and the others are Alpines, a huge 4 month old and a tiny 3 month old. All of them are fairly mellow and only did a little head and body pushing, the stopped, sort of like, I wonder why I am doing this? and then stopped, blinked and went back, respectively, to the hay rack and the fence where the does were.

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

She sounds lovely! I can't wait to see pictures.

As for the homesickness/introductory pains - it's like being the new kid at school. They have to find their own friends. :) She'll adjust in a few days.

When I took the little Nigie doeling back to the breeder in the spring, it was sad to see her go, but it was fun to watch her meeting the other goats. She wasn't going to back down from anybody - her mother is pretty high on the totem pole. :p

BTW - the little doeling with the big abscess on her belly does appear to have a hernia, now the abscess has cleared up. Too bad, she's a sweet little goat, but I guess she'll make someone a lovely pet, if we don't keep her. She could always live with Beauty, who is retired, so won't ever go near the buck again.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the hernia, pook.

I wonder if it would be better to leave her in the shed with the herd tonight? She almost seems to prefer being with them, even as the new goat, to being in the tarped pen with another crying doeling...

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

The new kid on the block always goes through hazing. As long as the treatment isn't dangerously rough I think I'd keep her with the herd. Especially since they settle down at night. What is the bloodlines on this new girl? I'm a nigie nut so I know where you're coming from!

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Things are going better each day. I have some of her papers in the car or somewhere...can't find them! I'll post them when I find them!
    Blessings, Jill!