Beautiful Bird---what is it?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, May 10, 2006.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Beautiful bird in our woods today.

Bright blue with a bright red throat and upper chest.
    I thought it might be an Indigo Bunting---its hanging out with the Gold Finches like the Indigo's do.

But my bird books don't mention any bright red on the Indigo's.

Then I thought Eastern Bluebird---but this is definately a Bright Red throat rather than orange----and a Bright, shimering blue for the body.

Any ideas?

2. jonc

jonc Well-Known Member

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

I'm guessing you have it right with the Eastern Bluebird with fresh plumage, which can appear more red than orange, at least in the Western Bluebird I'm familiar with.

4. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Talllpines, I'm thinking bluebird too. They are so pretty. Did you get a shot off?

Bret

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I've never seen a real bluebird---other than photos---although I know some of my neighbors claim to have had some nesting for the last couple of years.

Its coloring was bright blue like the picture of the painted bunting that jonc linked to. But this bird's bright blue extended from its head to its tail feathers....with the bright red chest.

No---I didn't get a photo of it..........but I'll be watching for it again.

Also---there is a bird singing a beautiful tune somewhere in my trees---wonder if its the same bird.

(Some day I've got to study up on bird songs!)

6. Lindafisk

Lindafisk Well-Known Member

Tallpines, one of my favorite sites is www.enature.com , you can look at pics of birds and other animals in your area and it has bird songs to listen to! We moved last year and had bluebirds nesting in our tree out front- I had never seen one before! You can also do an image search for bluebirds on Yahoo and get some good pics to compare to!