*beating head against the wall*

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

WHY can't dog owners KEEP THEIR DOGS HOME!

Issue is a 100+ pound purebred great dane. Very distinctive dog. Beautiful dog. Dog allowed to run loose. Dog has killed chickens in the area -- I've seen him running home with birds in his jaws multiple times. He's treed my cat. (My cat is a housecat who occasionally escapes outside.) He's attached my dogs. He's growled at me when he was loose and I was at my mailbox, a quarter mile from his home. I've nearly missed him multiple times. He's chased the neighbor's horses -- the neighbor tried to shoot him but was too drunk to hit him (!). I've nailed him in the head with a brick when he was dumping my trash, unfortunately, not with lethal results. He attacked another neighbor's TIED and harmless pit bull and broke the pit bull's leg just above the hock. This pit bull is the exact opposite of the expected temperment of a pit -- I've seen him back down from a cocker spaniel, he's the ultimate submissive personality. It was reportedly a one-sided fight, with the pit just trying to get away. He's tried to get over the fence at my goats & got butted.

The damned owners are living on charity donations official and unofficial (people giving them food), live in a trailer that's literally falling to pieces. They DO have a fence, and a gate, and five acres that is AMPLE room for that dog to run loose on without bothering anyone, but they refuse to keep the gate closed. The excuse they give animal control is "other dogs run loose" ... not that I've seen.

I've asked them nicely. I've provided them copies of the state statutes about the laws. (It's a felony with jail time to allow a dog to chase livestock in this state. This dog has chased a horse and has attempted to get over the fence at my goats.) I've not so nicely woken them up at 5:30 AM to tell them to keep there (multiple expletives deleted) dog confined after a sleepless night spent napping on my back steps for fear the dog was going to come back and try to get over my fence again at my goats.

I can't shoot, I no longer have a gun and I'm a horribly lousy shot anyway.

I've called animal control. Animal control has been out multiple times, the last time they fined the people. The animal control officer expressed frustration to me the last time.

Grrr ... and guess who was loose AGAIN today? One guess. Bet you can get it with one fricking guess.

Sigh. I am at wit's end. I have a big-dog sized live trap but I haven't been able to catch the dog in it in the past, though I managed to catch and relocate the entire local population of feral cats ...

I'm going to set the trap up again. I'm just sooo frustrated. I don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate of their neighbors, or care so little for their animals ... when my dogs get out, I'm tracking them down (for hours if necessary) and apologizing profusely to any neighbors they've bothered.

Grrr!

Leva

2. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

WHAT did you say you'd done with the cats?

3. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I'd set the trap again, maybe with one sacrificial live hen tied in the back of it (she'll need shade to make it in the summer heat without being able to go anywhere)

Since the people refuse to listen, I wouldn't bother with turning the dog in... the people can just go and bail him out and you're back to how things are now. If the people know that it's a problem, and you know it's a problem, and animal control knows it's a problem, and nothing changes, it's time to change the approach. I probably wouldn't kill a dog like that, but I'd drive it to the nearest large city and turn it in at the shelter as a stray. If it's not microchipped and registered to the owners, a Dane rescue group will likely be called to pick it up, and they'll work with it some and then adopt it out to responsible folks.

If the dog IS microchipped, he'll be returned to the same people and your only recourse is less kind than the above option. Up here, it's legal to shoot a dog that's harrassing or attacking livestock... maybe that's a statewide law? I'd interpret that as being allowed to kill a dog who roams and attacks your livestock, whether you shoot him on the spot or trap and take him to get euthanized.

The problem is the people, not the dog, as usual... but that doesn't mean in any way that you have to put up with the dog. You can't get through to idiots like that, you can't change them, so it's best to just remove the second problem in line, which is the dog.

It would worry me a great deal that the dog had the nerve to growl at you at YOUR mailbox. Like some other breeds, Great Danes can turn vicious under certain circumstances, and needless to say, they can do a lot of damage and a dog like the one you described should be considered dangerous.

A word of caution though... since the owners already know that you have a problem with their dog, they'll suspect you when the dog disappears. And if you have any reason to think that they might "retaliate" in the typical ways of people like that, it's not a good idea to give them any reason to turn on you. This could be read as the dog having an unfortunate accident away from your property or as you putting up with his attitude quietly, whichever you prefer.

Good luck with this... I don't envy you. It's a crying shame that the misbehaved - and potentially dangerous - dogs always seem to belong to irresponsible people who let them run loose without any concern for their neighbors.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

if it's purebred it's tattooe'ed . in the event that it is turned in ,then the breeder will be phoned,good breeder knowing the story ,will make dog disapear. one of those very easy/hard situations were the people make the dog pay for their stupidity. sss is the only certain way of dealing with this problem

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Not necessarily - I have three purebred dogs with not a tattoo in sight.

The kind of people Cygnet describes aren't the kind who'd buy from a conscientious breeder, and the cheaper backyard breeders don't generally bother with tattoos (think what's-his-name with his "nice harlequin" and no interest in doing the normal things a conscientious breeder would do). If the dog was bought from a backyard or street corner, chances are that it isn't marked. If it was adopted from a rescue, it'll be micro-chipped. If it came originally from a good breeder, it'll be tattooed as well.

Note that shooting it isn't an option for Cygnet... got any other ideas?

6. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

nice big plate of ground chuck, some sort of knock-out medicine that wouldn't be harmful to the dog-just put him in na-na land (ask a vet), scoop him up, put him in a cage, take him to the nearest Dane rescue. This dog is in danger running loose like that and you would be doing him a favor.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Go buy a electric fence box, run some wire out about 10 or 20 feet, with a ground. Take strips of Bacon, wrap them around and tie them in a knot. Take your dogs inside, turn it on. I have a open burn pit, did this. I ran the electric off my garden wires. My trash hasn't been drug out of it in two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!! No dog poop on lawn either!!!!!!!
    I don't have a dog of my own, so why should I put up with others??
    shadowwalker. :lonergr:

8. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

Along the same lines you could dope him daily with a benedryl in a treat. Tuck one into a bit of hotdog and give it to him. Keep him tired and lazy all day, every day. Never thought of it before but he'd probably just go home and sleep - too tired to chase livestock. :)

9. Cygnet

Either A: mostly relocated them to a friend who needed some cats for rodent control or B: dropped a few off at the pound for humane euthanasia. These were ferals and nobody in the neighborhood claimed them -- we had a neighbor who was foreclosed on and left their housecats behind; I suspect they were the offspring of said housecats. They were NOT tame pet kitties -- they were vicious wild animals that were causing an assortment of problems including using my hay as a litterbox and preying on my yard roosters. Plus, the ones I dropped off at the pound were not healthy.

10. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Paintball gun!!! Pepper the h*ll out of the dog with it. Pink is the best...not that I would know that :D

11. sparrowhill

sparrowhill sparrowhill

If it's a felony in your area for dogs to chase livestock and the animal control person is not handling the situation, you need to go over their head. Phone or visit your county office building and register a complaint. These dog owners have been warned and fined and if the dog is still running loose, it should be removed from their home before it hurts something or worse yet, someone. Don't the animal control people have that option available to them? Can't they just remove the animal? Sounds like a big dog, maybe they're afraid of it, too!

12. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

LOL it would take more than one benedryl to dope that size of a dog. 1 benedryl for every 25 pounds is what it would take to make the dog go to lala land.

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

My parents were total irresponcible dog owners, and had a great dane they kept tied on a chain out in the country, it had food as I remember 30 yrs ago they grossed about $50000 a year between them and we always had a new vehicle, usually 4 times a year, but he got off his chain one day and on the neighbors property Bit him over his pile of trash. This Dane was sweet to us, so don't think for a second this dane won't bite and go for the throat. Maybe get a young male cousin to SS&S

14. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

I am right with coalroadcabin on this one but I don't "take" the dogs anywhere once I get my hands on them. Not with a history that these people have that have this dane. I would do one of two things....

I'd put him under the ground myself, just me though. I don't whine or complain about these things although I can sympathize with wanting to rant about it. I just get the dog in to me using whatever means I need to(lures of meatballs, whatever)and load the lure with a heavy dose of tranquilizer so the dog goes home drunk or dies on the way or get it drunk and kill it and bury it. With a dog that big it would be a tough job to put it under the ground so I would go with the dose of tranquilzers. or EX LAX or????

Sometimes having a dog come home looking and acting really sick will do the trick for the idiots who own it but who knows? I've been known to shave a hairy dog down in a poodle clip and put a note around it's neck along with a nice pink bow before turning it loose, or dyed a white dog pink with food coloring(a pit bull who was a sweet dog, but ran loose and did in my garbage routinely. It depends on the dog and the people who own it.

Take care of the problem and you will be done with it....I'm surprised that someone in your area hasn't taken care of this already as it sounds like it's been going on for awhile.

LQ

15. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd cart him off to a pound or animal facility in a different county, dif state if possible, minus collar. You found him running in the highway and didn't want him to get run over. Don't leave your name. After a couple of days, I'd contat Dane rescue and tell them there's a big dog that looks like a great dane in XXX county shelter.

Not all purebred dogs are tatooed or microchipped. Even with microchipping, the different brands do not read each other, so it is hit or miss in finding the owner even if the pound/facility tested for a microchip. I'm sure this dog would be a good dog with the right owners.

16. Cygnet

I know for a fact that one neighbor has tried to shoot him, and probably others. The dog takes off at an absolute dead run when anyone yells at him, which tells me he's probably been shot before at least with a BB gun.

Sigh. I'm going to do what it takes to catch him and relocate him to the pound. I figure the owners can pick him up, ONCE, and pay the fine. If he comes back again after that, I'll relocate him a little farther away, or a little deeper, depending on my mood.

Leva

17. MRSSTEAK

MRSSTEAK Well-Known Member

I can understand your frustration, but on the flip side of things, I've had one of my dogs (A miniature American Eskimo) shot and killed by a trigger happy neighbor. He was all of about 30 pounds. My dog only went to his house 3 times in a one week period out of the 4 years we lived there. And the only reason he went over there was the neighbors dog was in heat. All I have to say is, It's not the dogs fault. It's the owners. Why make the dog suffer for his owners stupidity? Sure the dog may be mean or vicious, but that's not his fault either. It's poor training on his part. I am in favor of getting some advice from a local vet on how to drug the dog and knock him out, take him to a shelter (minus the collar) very far away. I really doubt that the dog is microchipped if his owners are living off the charity of others.

18. SpaceCadet12364

SpaceCadet12364 Well-Known Member

south central KY 75 miles SSE of Louisville
    You might want to look into finding someone with access to a tranquilizer gun, and load it up with a strong enough dose (overestimate the weight a bit to be on the safe side, it should only keep the dog out longer) to knock him out. Then, you can take him somewhere away from the area easier. Stuff him into the dog trap though while he is out of it, for your own safety.

Its a shame that the people don't care for their Dane very well at all. We had two Danes at one point, then one died of the bloat. The second one was ok for a while, then started getting loose and roaming around..a couple times he supposedly got into a pasture and was running around there (as far as we know, he didnt hurt or chase anything..they just caught him in the pasture. Of course, it was interesting that he lost his collar both times?). We found him a home with a new Dane friend, rather than risk getting a call to come pick up what was left of him. (wasnt in the position to buy another one ourselves at the time).

If it is a felony in your state to allow a dog to chase livestock, and as you said they refuse to lock this dog up, how come they are still "on the loose" themselves? Has this just stayed with animal control, or have law enforcement been involved?

The SSS method is the most permanent way to solve the issue. We have had to do that, we caught 2 dogs attacking our ducks. The one dog broke off when I was running up and hollering, the other just kept at it. We called animal control after it was all said and done....left the evidence where it lay (blood, feathers, dead dog). The control officer (head of local shelter) is kind of worthless around here, he just says "Why didnt you call us first?". But, nothing happened to us, the owner of the dog did come by and was like "why did you shoot my $400 dog over a $5 duck?", and how his wife and kids were really upset about it. Well....it was MY $5 duck in MY pasture being attacked by YOUR dog. :grump: :flame: If you value your dog, don't let it run loose!

I do like the idea someone mentioned about shaving or dyeing the dog a funky color...fluorescent pink or purple would be nice! :sing:

Hope between you and the other neighbors that are having the issues with this dog are able to get it taken care of. Good luck!

19. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

Any dog that growls at me on my property or chases livestock will get one warning to the owners and then get shot. This has always been the unwritten law every livestack raising area I've lived or stayed. Cygnet, document the calls to animal control and note the time and date of the warning to the owners and get a neighbor with a gun to help.

Many folks will not even offer the warning to the owners. I invest too much time, effort and money into my livestock to let a dog get it....and mind you we are in the most dog friendly part of the country I know. Dogs, mostly sled dogs, out number people 3 to 1 here.

20. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Its not the dogs fault its the Idiot owners that are to blame and the dog has to suffer for it. Its a shame the owner doesn't get put in JAIL for this issue.