Bears

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Pelter4, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Pelter4

Pelter4 New Member

First post...yeah :) . Anyhow I'm thinking of trying my hand at Bee keeping. My question is; What are the most effective methods for keeping bears out of the hives? Or will I be fighting a losing battle? I live next to the Bob Marshall wilderness and I am visited by bears (Grizzily and black) almost daily during the late summer months. I've been thinking of building a bear proof enclosure around the hives but I'm not sure how fessible this would be. Any suggestions?

2. raymilosh

raymilosh Well-Known Member

i have never needed to try it, but i hear that a small elec fence around the hives does the trick. Then hang something yummy on the fence so the bear gets a good shock the first time. I hear bacon strips or peanut butter are the best.bueno suerte
    ray

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

Hey, the Bob's my old stomping grounds, where are you at?

I never had much luck with electric fence, something always takes it down. I used to have a couple remote locations on F.S. ground to harvest Fireweed, and built platforms to set as many as 20 colonies on. They are a pain to work though and I had to build a lift system to load and unload. Just greased the uprights and never had a problem with bears. Don't have bees anymore, but the platforms are still there.

4. Pelter4

Pelter4 New Member

North of Seeley Lake.
    And I've also been thinking of some sort of platform set-up. But like ya said, it presents a whole set of problems dealing with the hives ten-twelve feet off the ground.
    I've been told by local Game Wardens that electic fencing is a waste of time. I'm sure it might stop a few but when 'ol Grizz gets a sweet tooth ain't no amount of juice gonna keep him from it :D .

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Cool, I used to take dudes into the Bob from the lodge at Holland Lake and worked a couple years out of Augusta for Art Wickum prior to that, lotta years ago.

Oddly enough, from my bear experiences, they aren't after the honey at all, but the grubs. They have almost completly ignored the honey.

6. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

We've used electric fence with great success around our hives. Of course that's the first line of defense, there's 2 chainlink fences with the inner one having a welded wire top. The bears don't make it past the electric though. I watched a bear stand at the electric fence last year and that was all the further he went. There's an outfitter in Alaska that uses solar powered fencing around his cabin tents, says it's 99% effective at keeping bears out of even the cook tent. While our fight is against black bears, the outfitter used it effectively against brown bears (Kodiaks also I think).

Lisa