Bears and Batteries???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan in CO, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Ok, maybe someone on here has heard of this or is it just a figment of a scoutleader's imagination? Our grandson and his father went on a father and son camp out this spring with the scout troup. Had to come home early, as a bear was sighted near the camp. The leader told them to be sure not to bring anything with alkaline batteries in it next time, as "bears are attracted to alkaline batteries". I've never heard anything like this, and can't imagine why they would be attracted to them. Our son in law said the leader wasn't joking, he really seemed to believe it. Thoughts? Jan in Co

2. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

News to me, I've done camping in the Smokies and received plenty of instructions from rangers about bears.

3. texican

texican Well-Known Member

As a backcountry ranger in Denali NPP, I never heard of alkaline batteries causing any problems with griz or black bears. Oh, I guess if you dipped them in something that smelled real good, they might be an attractant. Of course if it smelled "real good", I'd be attracted to your campsite, and advise you of your peril (from the bears, not me, unless it was yummy, and I'd been out for three or four days, then I'd try to talk you out of it, for your own good .

Also worked hand in hand with the 'bear techs', doing aversive therapy on bad bears...we had to set up camps, with attractants, to get the bad bears in, so we could punish them severely with rubber bullets, m80 shotgun whizbangers......and never did we ever use (sorry, trying to not fall on the floor, with a giggling attack) alkaline batteries as attractants.

EVERYBODY knows it LITHIUM batteries that attract bears.
    Just kidding. Really, just kidding.

If a bear, black or griz, has gotten into human food, the mere scent of humans can be an attractant. I slept soundly in Denali National Park, with griz grazing 200 yards away. My food was inaccessible. I know the bear had never gotten food. The bear didn't associate me with food, so I was safe. I felt safer with griz nearby than I usually do when I go to town.

Grizzly bears are one of my speciality topics (spelling is correct, according to the way I pronounce it with my southern drawl)

Phil :) :)

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My sis went camping at some park out west one year (she told me which one, but I'm having a sr moment). She had a jug of water at her feet that had held lemonade earlier. She said when she woke in the morning it was gone and there were bear tracks outside. I think that was her last camping trip! LOL

5. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Don't bring any latex paint. That's what our local bear took off the porch and opened. He left the oil base paint.

6. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

i think bears prefer the alkaline batteries because they last so much longer than the cheaper types - and, everyone knows latex paint both dries faster and washes up with water -

7. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I think if the batteries are powering a transister radio and you encounter a dancing bear that likes the radio station that is being pulled in, then it would be an attractant. Otherwise :no:

8. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

Maybe the bear is using a battery powered latex paint sprayer!

9. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thought this was really wacky! For the life of me, I could not think of a single reason that batteries would attract bears! They wouldn't smell like anything edible, that's for sure! Now, to convince the son in law it's ok to take a flashlight on their next camping trip! Jan in Co

10. horselogger

horselogger Well-Known Member

maaaybe the bear assciated the battery smell of withthat darn bunny you see on the energiser ads!!!!!