Bear in the Woods!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ozarkquilter46, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who lives on south 17 out of West Plains Missouri. She has spotted a bear in the woods just past her back yard twice in the last week! I knew they were out here but that is the first time I have known someone who has seen one.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Being in the northland, we coexist with black bears. Usually no big deal in the country as they go about their business. In the spring the sows are dangerous if you get between her and her cubs. In the fall, bears can come around if their food supply is exhausted. Then they become a nuisance. Usually, they are more problematic for town folk bordering on wooded areas during barbecue season and become an unwelcome guest. Dump areas attract bears, which is kind of sad, but that also attracts them away from usual farms and such.
    Down the hill from where I lived was a sow with 2 cubs that crossed the highway and were looking back and waiting for the 3rd little runt cub to catch up. They naturally keep away from most human contact if possible, but dont' provoke them under any circumstances.

Reminds me of a friend who was teased about her strong willed nature and asked by her BIL if she was bossy. She answered by saying 'Does a bear **** in the woods'? I replied that they also can **** on the road or in the oat field. :haha: sad joke... :eek:

4. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Beware --- This could be very dangerous ! ! !

Last year an old woman had a bear tear down her back door and then came in and killed the old woman.

Another black bear came into a womans yard and she grabbed one of her children, and took it into the house. She ran back out to get her little baby on the front pourch and it was to late the bear had the little baby and was heading back to the woods where it killed the baby.

Bears can do anything at anytime.

5. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

bears are opportunistic omnivors-they'll eat anything.Prevention is better than intervention- keep garbage out of the way, fruit picked etc.They'll go to the easiest food source.The mostdangerous bears are ones that associate humans with food.Don't feed them, ever

6. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We have bears living in the woods behind the house.

- the garbage is kept closed up in our garage until the morning the garbage trucks come by. It's put back in the garage as soon after the trucks have dumped it as possible.

- the barbeque is also kept closed up in the garage between uses.

- I do not have bird feeders of any kind out when the bears are active. Ours are hibernating right now, so I have suet out. That gets taken down when it starts to warm up in the spring.

- the animals are all fed indoors. The critters are fed inside the barn, the dogs and cats are fed inside the house.

- our fruit trees and garden are behind electric fences mostly to protect them from deer, but it works to discourage the bears too.

Basically, make it really hard for them to find anything at all to eat around your house and they'll go somewhere else.

The only people around here who have problems with the bears are part-timers who leave out cookies so they can take pictures of the bears when they come up onto the porch.

7. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

I don't know A LOT about bears but I have done some reading and research and in my opinion black bears aren't exactly man eating aggressors. But then again, I don't believe other bears are either, if LEFT ALONE.

If I am not mistaken black bears are the smallest bears in N.America and eat more vegetation and insects than anything else.

Why do people freak out over stories of bears and mountain lions mauling people? Respect them and their space and co-exist.

I once heard a story about a white tail buck who saw his reflection in a sliding glass door and decided to 'charge' it, ending up inside the house doing lots of damage and injuring one person before it let itself back out, but that doesn't make me afraid of white tail deer.

It seems when animals attack people the whole story isn't told and it's blown up to look more like an epidemic than the isolated event that it is. And to be honest, when it does happen, I really don't understand how people could expect anything otherwise. I mean we're the one's building sub-divisions in THEIR territory, interfering with their roaming areas and food supplies and we're the ones throwing our garbage out with out keeping it out of reach. Not that I am an ardnent environmentalist or anything, but I do believe you can't expect a wild animal to do anything but what's instinctual. Doesn't make the encounter any less horrible, but lessons can be gained from them.

Bottom line, take precautions and be respectful. You wouldn't walk up to a rattlesnake and reach down to pick it up anymore than you would walk across a firing range while target practice was taking place.

Just my two cents...(not intended to sound offensive)

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We had problems with black bears coming up on our porch, and trying to get into our neighbors house. They were stubborn, and not easily scared. We bought a couple of Great Pyrenees and voila...they steer clear of our place. Even a wandering grizzly showed up at our neighbors, but gave us a wide berth. Sure, a grizz could decimate a Pyrenees, but they'd rather avoid the trouble.

9. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

There most likely looking for a free meal, so as long as you don't throw out table scraps, they should go away.

I wish i could hibernate like a bear. Would save on the gas bills and you wouldn't have to worry about being overweight, by springtime you would be skinny!

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I also agree about the bear stories that are out of proportion to the reality. People also attack other people much more than an incidence of a wild black bear impacting on someone living within their range. I suspect with closer encroachment in their envionment, than the incidence of seeing them also increasese. I've lived 14 years in a prime bear habitat location. Crown land forest abuts to the boundary for miles west. PRIME, and I do mean prime predator, bear, wolf, coyote territory. There are census about so many per square mile, or whatever, and also moose, deer etc. It's an ecosystem, and I feel the invader if anything. So how can I manage to not be eaten by a black bear or wolf by now, or my stock? Guardian dogs for one thing is encouraged. Leave the environment that the bear lives so they naturally stay there and have their food there. I have compost heaps....cover them from smell. I had poultry...keep them contained. Bears have attacked a bee hive to eat the larva...the beekeeper in the next township has 200 hives and in prime black bear country. He live wires off the hive areas with electirc fencing. Rarely does he have a compensations claim for destroyed hives by bears. I have terrier dogs....always have had. A bear would not take kindly if they were near it, but the bear hasn't come to the house after them either. Activity helps to keep bears where they belong and don't prefer human company...But as already mentioned DON'T feed them or encourage them to come by attracting them with smells of human foods, barbecue, etc. OR, have your pyrenese or livestock guardian dog around. Get the dog to patrol and mark his territory from these wild critters. Part of nature is the establishment of territory. Part of homesteading is co-existing with the wild animals and establish with them who's territory is who's. I only had to dispense with one coyote in all this time...that's nearly 15 years. ...and a mangy fox caught starving in the hen house in the dead of winter. The coyote wanted to breed with my dog...not allowed, nor can they come to live with my 'pack'. He was persistent and had to go. I still regret that, but it's one which was a proper decision. I don't go peacemeal stalking wild critters to protect my property. I don't see the point. I don't have the time. The bear is there and has been all along. They don't provoke me, and I don't provoke them. Neither of us invite each other for trouble.
    well, my rant :yeeha:

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

As far as Bears go I've not really had any problems,other than where I use to live,had a friend get killed in his Camper,Bear ate on him for two days before anyone went up there.

Now cats Mountain Lions and Bobcats have mistaken me as food,once they realized I was a Man,got on out of there.

big rockpile