Bear in the woods

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bill177, Sep 9, 2006.

1. bill177

bill177 Member

This morning I was driving my tractor to the woods to continue my dirt mining project for the garden. I noticed a very strong smell of dog crap. We don't have a dog anymore, she died a couple of years back and I just haven't gotten another. So not my dog. Neighbors are too far away - so, I got to looking and found the source - a bear had been through the woods during the night. They can sure be ripe!

We have problems with bears here - so now I carry a little more equipment on the tractor - air horn and 45-70. One to scare him away with and the other in case he doesn't want to run away. :hobbyhors

By the way, here is a picture for you folks that insist on taking a little trash out to the woods each evening. :nono:

http://www.necoastal.net/bears.jpg

2. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard that's what bears do in the woods.

3. CountryMamaof5

CountryMamaof5 Well-Known Member

LOL that would sure take a long time to get that much trash out there a little at a time LOL

But those bears look like walking roasts and tenderloins. I can picture the bear skin rug before the fire and making some home made bear wax for my dh's boots.

They say we have bears around here but i have never seen one. I wouldn't mind seeing one just for a few moments as long as it kept passing on through with a full belly from someone elses yard and not mine. They sure are beautiful

4. bill177

bill177 Member

Bears are a pain and can do a lot of damage.

We like to feed the birds, so I have the single feeder on a wire about 10 feet off the ground between the house and a tree - about 90 feet. Feeder is lowered for filling by a rope that also extends to the house. Been a couple of years since we have lost a feeder.

I suppose someday one will come along with more brains than the others and try to climb out on the wire and break it down. Of course I could insulate the wire and charge it - but, so far there has been no need.

5. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

Boy, I've watched bears at dumps before, but never saw that many at once! That's a great picture, where was it taken? Black bear attacks are extremely rare, as they usually flee at the sight or smell of man. Just respect them, and keep your distance; like not trying to get too close for a picture, whereas they may feel threatened. A sow with cubs can be dangerous, so clear out of the area (this I can vouche for first hand). If they're hanging around your place alot, it's probably because there's a food source, bird feeders, compost pile with food scraps etc... When I lived in my mountain cabin there was always bears around, and after awhile we sort of got used to each other. I could be outside and they would just walk by or hang around, although we both kept a reasonable distance. Only one young male ever bluffed charged me and that was because he smelled a bag of corn that I had in my porch, and I kept trying to chase him out of the porch. So I threww him a couple of cobs and all was well. The cabin was so old and drafty that when I made breakfast (bacon) , sometimes they would stand up at window and scratch or come onto the porch snuffling around. But they never tryed to harm me, but like I said, you have to respect them. One thing I must caution the ladies though, if it's your time of the month, it would be wise to stay out of the woods; as that can, and will attract boars!!

6. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We have them around here.

They eat the crabapples and then leave piles of vomit.

7. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's vomit?

I had bears in apple trees when I lived in No. East Washington and they get the runs like all get out. Their crap even contains the apple peel in it. I think they just gorge themselves and get the runs really bad.

I saw one cloimb down out of a tree doing the duty all the way down. Guess he couldn't wait! :rolleyes:

8. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

We had a paper sent home with the kids from school that said..."there has been a reported sighting of bears near the schoolyard once again....." Again? Yep. We didn't get that kind of notice in city schools! We had some in June at the rural school, too. Pretty creepy when you have little kids.

This time around, there were actually two sightings in the village: a lone bear, and a bear with cubs.

The MNR works closely with the school in giving them info on what to do if confronted by bears, and the kids seem to understand what they should do if confronted. Even so, you can't help but feel a little worried about that.

I have "bear bells" on my saddle when I ride in the woods during seasons where the bush is thick. I just fashioned some jingle bells onto a loop that snaps on. Reminds me of Christmas sleighs. :) The sound gets kind of annoying sometimes (so much for that nice quiet 'nature' sound), but it's way better than coming across a startled bear.

DD

9. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Bill, I've got a dog that would take on your bear. She's the sweetest thing on earth unless you're an animal. She keeps trying to kill my Pyr. She needs a home with a job.

10. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

Bill, the last thing you need in the woods of the northeast is a gun for bear protection. First of all, Black bear attacks are exceptionally rare in the lower 48 states. You are far more likely to die from a misquito bite, than a bear attack, where you live. Secondly, most people that are attacked by bears (Grizzlies, not blacks) in places like AK and the Yukon, are fairly unsucessful with their firearm defenses. We had a 3 or 4 hundred pound black bear strolling the neighborhood this summer. One morning he was "attacked" by my next door neighbor's viscious dogs. The bear, who ran across the yard in fear for his life, hit the woods, and climbed a tree to avoid certain death. BTW, the bear was running from a Yorkie-poo and a six pound puppy. Trust me, I have startled several black bears while spending time in the woods, and they always have one thing on their minds when they accidentally meet a human. They are worried about getting as far away, as fast as they possibly can.

11. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Black bear attacks, although relatively rare, are increasing.
    http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/pdf/Bear_Attacks.pdf#search="black bear attacks"
    Bear/human encounters are also increasing. Bear are moving into areas where they have not lived for decades. We have a few resident populations in Ohio that did not exist even 20 years ago. Add to that the fact that more people are living in Ohio than there were 20 years ago and you have the increased potential for attacks.

If you are going to depend on a gun for bear protection a pistol is a much wiser and safer choice than any rifle. A bear can run 50 feet in the time it takes to bring a rifle from your lap to your shoulders. Remember though, a wounded bear is much more dangerous than a non-wounded bear.

I'm glad we don't have bear problems here. My freezer isn't big enough and I don't have a backhoe to bury the carcass. And with my luck it would be one of Ohio's tagged bears.

12. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

As the population grows by leaps and bounds, more people will be encroaching into bears terrorities, meaning more bear-man encounters. Usually the bear gets the brunt of the revenge in the end. The bears are not living in our backyards, we are living in there's. A pistol may be helpfull, but that's debateable. Not everyone is that accurate shooting one, and that's when there're not in a stressful situation. Trying to get a good shot at a charging bear, usually means your adrenlin is pumping a 100 miles an hour and your shaking; you'll be lucky if you even hit him. Chances it will be only a wounding shot and really pi$$ the animal off!! But, I guess a sidearm is better than nothing, if nothing but to just scare them off. The most potent big game stopper at close range is the 12 guage pump shotgun loaded with 00 buck, even used by Africia professional hunters going into the bush after wounded lions and leopards, but I'm getting off the subject here! Like I said before, chances of a black bear attack are rare. If you feel uneasy about certain roaming bruins in your area, you could buy some bear spray, such as the Guard Alaska Pepper Bear Spray. If confronted by a bear yell at them and waving outstretched arms, making you appear larger than you are. I carry a large plastic garbage bag folded up in my pocket. Shouls a problem arise, just wip it out opening it and shake it widly around. Between the crackling noise and size, it will unerve almost any blackie! The bags also make a good raincoat if you're caught in a downpour!

13. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

I lived in Fort Myers, Fla back in the seventies. I forget the name of the road but one side was city and the other wasn't.
    There was a black bear that came in a dozen or so times and went right on through picture windows and tear the kitchens apart and everytime, he or she, don't know which, would be back to the woods before any help arrived.
    Finally it just stopped coming around.

14. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

read cute story about the bears in these parts.."Identifying bear sign"
    Black bear poop has lotsa red berries and hair and smells terrible. .Black bears are usually harmless, but grizzlies are dangerous..The best way to avoid grizzlies is to wear some little bells and carry bear spray..The grizzly poop looks alot like black bear poop but has little bells in it and smells like bear spray.

15. doohap

doohap Another American Patriot

Too cute! :cute:

16. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

My grandparents had a place in the Finger Lakes for many years. Us kids were always warned to watch out for the black bears. Well, I went back to the same area when I was older for a few years. No longer the rural farm land I remembered as the area was booming with McMansions. Folks around there looked at me like had three eyes when I mentioned bears...until the one day one walked right through town.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/20/n...and&adxnnlx=1158080534-tSYp+I42P1NASWr6nhcm8Q

17. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Not long after we bought the farm I was setting up a tree stand on the edge of a swamp behind the house near a large white oak tree. I had carried a bucket of corn to put out to help attract them. The season hadnt started so I didnt have a gun with me. I was pouring out the corn about 10 feet from the tree when I heard something coming up through the swamp. I figured it was a deer since I had seen a lot of tracks in the area. I was crouched down, and the animal was coming up directly in line with the 3 foot diameter oak. When it stepped around the tree I was eye to eye with a 300 lb bear and so close I could see his eyelashes. He saw me and stopped and just stared for a while. I never moved, and the wind was in my face so he couldnt smell me but he knew something wasnt right. After a couple of minutes of staring at each other he backed up about 20 yds and circled around to my right. He never got alarmed, and I was able to watch him for almost 20 minutes before he finally got out of sight. He's the 3rd one Ive seen here and about 15 miles from here an 800 lb bear was killed. None of the ones Ive seen have been more than half a mile from the house