Bear Attack

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by big rockpile, Jan 6, 2007.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:eek: OH THIS IS NOT GOOD!!! I'M SLIPPING.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc&eurl=[/ame]

big rockpile

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

THe mama was just protecting her cub.. Wasnt like it was some freak attack for no reason.
    For those who cant view the video---
    The men are bear hunting, being video taped by Cabellas Outfitter Journal (Tv Show) THe men shot a big male, at the sound, this sow pops up from over a dune and locks on to them.. The men hollered and yelled to scare the bear away, instead she came at them full charge, And she was shot when they had no other choice. Tragic for the sow. But least it isnt some bear going after humans for no apparent reason. Her maternial instinct was to protect her cub. Totally Understandable.

However I was looking at the responses posted below and MAN there are sure alot of anti hunters posting about it... Those people posting are acting like the hunter should have not shot her.. Makes no sense..

3. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I would have liked to see them at least try and fire a warning shot to scare her back before she got that close. Now the cub suffers a horrible death.
    What does someone need to hunt bear for anyway? Sport is just not a good enough reason to me.

4. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know, Kim... if a big, angry mama grizzly is coming at me, I am not wasting time or a shot trying to warn her off. I probably would just kick into survival mode and not even think about it.
    Besides, mother bears are not really something you can warn off... if she feels that cub is in danger, she doesn't care what she's going up against.

Whatever people hunt, as long as they eat it (or give it to someone who will) and use as much of the animal as possible, fine with me. Normally though, I'm all for letting apex predators be to help maintain/achieve a balance, but if one goes after people... different story.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you forgetting that firing a shot is what set the sow off in the first place? She was in full mode and nothing short of a bullet was going to stop her. She was coming so fast that most people couldn't even chamber a second round, and who wants to be the one with an empty rifle when she gets there?

6. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I agree. That video really ticked me off. What great fun that must be, killing these animals, watching them try to get up and run, having to shoot them again, then joy of all joys, a mama and her babies and oh darn, we have to kill her too. That is just savage as far as I'm concerned. They don't need to meat to stay alive and they don't need to to make a wrap to stay warm, they do it because they feel macho killing a big beast like that.
    Disgusting.

7. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

if you live in bear country long you will find out for yourself what a grizz or brown bear can and will do to you.it will kill you.also if you dont hunt and manage large preadtors and they grow old they wear there teetth down and starve.that is the only death of them.2 lady trappers that live in the denali area had to kill a bear that it's teeth were so worn out and couldnt eat.that it couldnt hiberante because of lack of fat and starvation.it was out in middle of winter and it was stalking the homestead and trying to get them and their sled dogs.after a couple of days of being circled by this bear they had to kill it.it had no hair left on its feet due to the ice and snow build up .harless and starving.....what a death by nature.the trappers names are judy and niki collins...they are true homesteaders in the alaska wilderness.

also when a bear comes for you it's not going to play "tag your it"..it means to disable you.you dont get a second chance to stop a brown bear attack.i have lived in alaska and i can tell you the bears can make your hair stand on end sometimes.

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Truth that is one reason I think they were Hunting Bear.It is the thrill of hunting something that has the possibility of killing you.They got what they wanted.

But on other hand if we don't hunt them they lose what fear they have and will think nothing of killing a Human.The human goes from Predator to Prey.

I had a friend that killed a Sow Grizz up there because she found his Moose kill and she wated it :shrug: Same thing she was protecting something of hers.

You don't reason with a charging Grizz!

big rockpile

9. beorning

beorning Well-Known Member

I must not have watched the same video as some of the folks that posted here.

A little review...

- One of the first decisions I noticed these guys make was to not use a bow to take the boar they were hunting. Their reasoning was that they would not be able to make an accurate and humane kill due to wind conditions.

- One hunter lined up the shot, waited until he had a good broadside presentation and was sure of a good hit and fired. After the shot was taken, he chambered another round checked the condition of the boar and fired again when it was evident that the bear wasn't going to drop quickly. The second shot was also well placed and carefully chosen.

- The hunting party took multiple steps to try to dissuade the sow from charging. She closed to eight yards before anyone fired on her. The hunting party, in it's entirety, was horrified and upset by the situation, as was evident by their comments. It was not something that they felt good about. It was not something that they did to feel macho.

- The alaskan authorities ruled that the incident was self defense, no doubt after having viewed the video. My experience with game authorities is that they come down on lawbreakers like a ton of bricks. If they viewed the situation as an unfortunate neccesity, then that is what it was.

It's true that we no longer need to hunt for survival. Likewise, we don't need to grow our own vegetables, raise any livestock, or do anything but run to the supermarket and pick up a styrofoam tray or plastic bag full of whatever food we happen to want. There are some pretty serious ethical flaws with doing things this way, despite the fact that it allows the consumer to pretend that everything is happy and bright and they need not have anything to do with something as ugly as killing their own food. I firmly believe that declining morality and human cruelty directly benefits from this situation. No one has to learn that survival involves sacrifice. It is no longer neccesary to understand that this sacrifice deserves our respect, and should be done in the quickest way possible. With reverence.

I don't personally hunt bear. I don't want to eat it. Lots of people do. I don't have a problem with that. These guys, as represented in this video, are absolutely ethical hunters. Not a bunch of yahoos shooting at anything that moves.

10. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I live in Black Bear country, and I do hunt bears; I like the meat, but if I were afield and armed, and any bear, upon dicovering my presence, did other than run away, I would prepare to shoot it. If it got too close, I would be like the old Swede who killed a bear out of season then was asked by the Game Warden if the bear had charged, whereupon the Swede replied, "Ay no vait to see, Ay yust shoot him."

11. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

For one the sport of hunting anything is exhilarating. However we do eat bear meat. Actually is very good. So its not just the sport of it, some of us do hunt bear to feed our families.

12. KimM

I'm sorry, I don't agree. There was plenty of time to jump up and down, yell, shout, and wave and video tape, they could have fired a few shots in front of her early in her charge. (He certainly had time to fire off a second quick round at the boar, didn't he?) I'm not ignorant of wild animal behaviour and it wasn't just the shot that set her off, it was the entire incident, the shots fired, the boar flailing around and running off panicked, possibly the smell he gave off from fear (dumping his anal glands, adrenaline). I don't believe animals have much reasoning powers but it sure looked like that mama bear put two and two together. HOWEVER, a couple quick shots would have been fair to her AND HER CUB. There was more than one man with a gun. Then I would have agreed that they "tried everything".

But now we'll never know.

Another thing, since they did kill the cubs mother, the humane thing to do would have been to go ahead and shoot the cub since he was just sentanced to death by slow starvation. (but probably illegal)
    It's bad enough some have to be killed because people moved into their territory but when people go into their territory to slaughter them for no GOOD reason, and animals are where they belong and minding their own business of living, I think it's just very sad.
    (donning flame suit)

13. KimM

I think anyone that gets exhilerated from seeing a living thing lose it's life has 'issues', IMHO. (One person's issue is another person's rush I guess) :shrug:
    I am not opposed to hunting for meat and especially if the population needs to be kept in check.

14. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

If it were not for the fees and money spent by hunters there would be very little habitat for wild creatures , How much money do you think PETA give for habitat preservation? here a clue not a dime. we have an abunance of wild game today not because of animal rights ativists but because hunters work hard to preserve game stock and habitat. ducks unlimited is a good example.
    Im sure Im not the only one who remembers the great florida deer hunt controversy, where a bunch of animal rights folks went out and caught deer to protet them from the evil hunters and released them on an island where hunting was banned . They saved them alright of not one of the over 100 deer they saved survived , they all died of starvation and dease on an iland that had just enough forage for its native population of deer.
    I can't speak for all hunters but I dont get a thrill from the kill , yes theres a rush watching a fine animal work its way into range but if Im not thinking food I wont take the shot. The only exception to this is if something is attacking or has attacked my stock.
    If you've never been hunting you dont understand. BTW a hunt can be nothing more than taking pictures .
    I plant food plots for wild game along the edge of my field and in openings in the timber. today in less than an hour I watched 6 deer,a beaver,countless squirrles ,a small covie of quail(that was a shock as the turkey have desimated them around here) more song birds and woodpecker than I care to count, and a bobcat. While we do have a few black bear in the county I have no plans of hunting one unless it causes damage.
    what do those of you who find hunting so repulsive do for the creatures of the woods?
    I swear we need to ban bambi and all the disney fantisy movies

15. staceyfb

staceyfb Well-Known Member

So I should find no enjoyment in the hunting for my plate? How would that be possible. I live strictly on wild meat. I also emensley enjoy the art of hunting that animal I am sustaining my life on.
    I never said I enjoyed watching anything die. But it is part of the cycle of life.

As for the "poor" cub that has been "sentenced to a slow death by starvation", have you ever seen another pig(of which the bear is) or cow or anything of the sort adopt an orphan? Not saying that it real often in the wild. However if the cub was that young to die of starvation it has a chance at it. I would say that by the size of the cub he/she will be fine as pie. The wild animals can overcome great obstacles that humans have no chnace of ever doing.
    I have seen fawns with spots that are orphaned and 99% of those live to be part of the herd and usually wiser and craftier than the rest.

Lets not be so niave about the way of life. We are the top of the food chain and by defending ourselves we stay there. Same as every other link in the chain. The lower life forms don't become the predator to their predators.

16. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Kim...
    I really hope, for your own safety and that of your livestock, you study up a bit on carnivore behavior. Once a bear charges, or a mountain lion starts stalking, it's game over for somebody. They aren't to be reasoned with.

Please realize this isn't said to be rude, I am genuinely concerned.

Goodness, that's a grizzly, and a mama grizzly at that. Sort of the archetype of a protective, unreasonable critter, ya know? They can move AMAZINGLY fast, and one bite or swat is enough to kill.

Again, if such a creature charges, i seriously doubt anyone would be capable of cogent thought. Good ole' fight or flight kicks in, not "Hmm, how can I keep from killing this massive predator that is trying to kill me?"

17. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

It was them or the Bear.You dont mess with Bears.
    Bye Bye Bear.[​IMG]

Personally thought that was a nice calm shot he made,very impressed.

BooBoo :gromit:

18. GREENCOUNTYPETE

GREENCOUNTYPETE Moderator Staff Member

WARNING SHOTS ARE FOR DEAD PEOPLE

19. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

IMHO this whole video was Utter & Complete BS! Did you Ever see any kind of a Bow in the video? Were either of these ''bow hunters'' ever close enough for shot with a bow?I saw 2 rifle hunters that never got closer than 200-300yds to a bear & when they decided to shoot with their scoped rifles they muffed the shot & only wounded the boar, then they Claimed that they were in Danger from the''charge'' by the sow from 200yds. The entire video is BS, & their ''interview'' about their ''danger'' from the ''charge'' by the sow is idiotic. They obviously provoked the charge by their antics so that they could shoot the sow for the dramatic effect for that stupid video. This entire ''hunting'' incident pretty much sickens me,as it was scripted to be ''dramatic'' for the video that was being shot. I wouldn't ---- on either one of these ''bear hunters'' if they were on fire in my living room.

20. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad to know we have a video expert examiner on the board.. :rolleyes: