Beans beans good for your heart...

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by minnikin1, Apr 3, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I was reading an article in an older issue of countryside about grinding dry beans into flour to add to soup...

It got me wondering. Could you give ground beans to sheep for protein?
    As we are all somewhat concerned lately about the quality of ready made feeds, it would be nice to be able to formulate good quality rations right at home.

Beans grow great here, the seeds are cheap, and they store like a dream.
    Why don't we hear about them as a typical feed ingredient?
    (you do hear of soybeans for stock, but I don't really want to grow those. I hate them.)
    BTW, I already started adding beans to the corn I give my chickens, and they seemed delighted.

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

soybean hay is great for both sheep and goats, just because you dont like them doesnt mean the animals wont,
    its a high sorce of protien and great all around for them, not sure it would go over as well with cattle as they might eat too much and get sick or something but at least my goats LOVED it and it didnt hurt them at all, in fact it upped my kidding rate

3. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

kidneys? navys? whites? one of the hundreds of other varietys? they can be used in stock feed ,just more expensive than soys. can get cull edible beans from time to time either too small or discoloured ones , nothing wrong with them just not what the human buyers want . we are looking at field peas to add protein , either in the grain mix with barley and/or oats (growing) or as a straight field crop (Beautiful flowers too!!)

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If it's the bloat factor you're trying to avoid from soy it'll be pretty much the same with any other bean. But yes you can feed them all!