Bean Question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by vegascowgirl, Apr 28, 2006.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

I remember as a child, my father always planted what he called Horticulture (SP? :shrug: ) beans. I remember them well, because one of my jobs as a pint sized pint was to shell the things. I remember exactly what they look like. cream with red stripes (some were almost all red). My husband who is from the southwest, and has never gardened befor in his life swears that these are pinto beans. I think they are different.
    So question is. are Horticulture beans and pinto beans one and the same?

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

3. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

You are right, they are two different beans. I grow them both every year.
    KB

4. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

thanks for all the help everybody.
    :hobbyhors now excuse me while I go shove my beans in hubby's face and sing "nanny nanny naaaanny":p

5. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Do the horticultural's eat like pinto's or what??? Inquiring mind wants to know :) ??

6. kbshorts

kbshorts Well-Known Member

I let the pintos mature and dry on the vines and keep as dry beans. The horticultural beans are picked at green shell stage, shelled and canned or frozen. It's real hard to say one is better than the other, both are very good. It seems to me that the pintos are much better than store-bought but maybe I'm just a little prejudiced
    KB

7. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

I always wondered about the horticultural beans but there is such an amazing number of varietys of beans that I just have not had time to try them all.

On Pintos: The catalogs sell a plain, old time pinto and an "Improved Pinto". The difference seems to be that the old pinto would bear so long as you kept it picked while the "Improved" will bear heavily once, all at once, and quit.
    I like the old, detest the new. If Pintos are picked at an early stage, snapped and stringed, I think they are as good a fresh green bean as ever any planted. Picked past that early stage they are a stringy mess impossible to chew and not at all tasty, best left to harvest as dry beans.

On that note I discovered Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans which taste as good as pintos but bear forever and can be eaten as green beans long after a pinto would be inedible.

Living in the HOT zone I have never been able to enjoy some of the good beans mentioned by others. We have to live with what we have.
    Ox

8. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

That's an improvement?????? I don't get it! :shrug:

Kentucky Wonder pole beans are wonderful..... hehehehe

50 days to go.... :sing:
    Kitty

9. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

<<That's an improvement?????? I don't get it!>>

Mechanical harvesting.

10. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Ok..... :bash: ...... that's why I didn't get it.......I don't harvest mechanically! Only ever picked with my own 2 little hands! ;)

50 days to go..... :sing:
    Kitty