Bean Beetles in (duh) Beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jesducky, Jul 18, 2005.

1. jesducky

jesducky Well-Known Member

Has anyone has success in using Neem or a pyrethrin spray against Mexican bean beetles? They are multiplying faster than I can pick them off and I'm leery of letting the ducks in the bean patch, so I've arrived at the desperation phase and am considering a natural insecticide.

On the other hand, I've got the Japanese beetles under control (knock knock). :viking:

Thanks! Nina

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I turned my muscovy ducklings loose in the garden. They've controlled everything! But, they're getting a bit big now, and starting to stomp on things, so they will get evicted this week, and the next clutch currently being sat on by Katie will be anxiously awaited!

Ducks? Probably not. Ducklings? Oh, my, yes! Heck of an excuse for more, too!!

Meg

3. jesducky

jesducky Well-Known Member

Absolutely would love to have more ducks! My three haven't bothered or stomped down the veggies too bad, though now that one batch of beans is flowering my Blue Swedish thought he'd do some sampling ... and they do like to drill under the artichokes. I went ahead and bought a pyrethrin spray at Lowe's yesterday and applied to the bush and pole beans and cukes (since I found 2 cuke beetles) last night. :grit: Activity has definitely been curtailed, but we'll see if there has been a real impact later this afternoon after the sun comes out ...