Beams for a 16x24

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CODIACRCMP, Apr 24, 2005.

1. CODIACRCMP

CODIACRCMP Well-Known Member

I was wondering how many 24' beams will I need to use for a 16x24 foot camp? 2 or 3?
    My floor joist will be 2x6 every 12"
    Thanks
    Danny

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    First of all change your layout so that the 16 foot ones do the job, rather than 24 foot ones. Their cost is way too costly. Plan on at least 2 support carriers for this arrangement. 16 footers are for example $20.00 each - 24 footers will be 60 or more each, do you see whats happening? Use more standardized lengths to save cash.

Actually for myself I would use 2 - 8 footers with a fische plate to make the span, that is if your not filthy rich.

3. CODIACRCMP

Nope.. not even close to being rich. So what your saying is I should get 16 foot beams instead of 24 foot ones? How far apart should they be?

What about concrete posts? How many of those should I use to support the beams and how far in the ground should they go?

Thanks for the reply
    Danny

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Go search what is the normal bury depth of foundations in your area, some place its more that 6 feet because of the frost heave - that is in big depth snow areas like Canada. Here in central Florida it is at ground level, we do not get frost penetration, therefore no frost heaves. Make the joist distance as short as you can to save on building costs.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

[​IMG]

This is my 16 x 24 one-story cabin (with a 6 x16 porch), so I have some experience. I used double 2 x12's for my beams. The beams were supported by wood posts every 8-feet. I used 2x12 floor joists which "clear-spanned" (ie, supported only on the ends) the 16-foot width of the cabin.

My recommendation that follows assumes that the 24-foot sides will be the bearing walls for the roof (like my cabin) and that you are using double 2x6's as your beams. If you use three beams (ie, 8-foot spacing between the beams which would be one on each 24' side and one down the middle), then the beams will have to be supported by concrete piers placed every 4'9". The pier spacing can be increased to 6'5" if your beams are triple 2x6's. The pier spacing can be increased even more if you use wider dimensional lumber. For instance, if your beams were made of double 2x10s or triple 2x8s, you can use a pier spacing of 8 feet.

You don't have to buy 24 foot long dimensional lumber for your beams. You can use shorter lumber just make sure that the ends of the lumber lie directly over the concrete piers.

Use select, #1 or #2 lumber for your 2x6 floor joists (don't use #3). The 2x6's will provide sufficient support over the 8-foot wide span between the beams if you use a 16"oc spacing between the floor joists.

6. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Cabin Fever, that is nice. I wouldnt mind seeing a few more pictures.

7. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

What a beautiful front porch arrangement as well as useful directions!!

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

9. CODIACRCMP

Thanks Cabinfever,
    Those are great pics!

Danny