bead seating the exciting way

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ed Norman, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

The tire on the old van leaked down and when I tried to drive closer to the air hose, it came off the rim. I jacked it up, gave it a big squirt of starting fluid, and waved a match in the vicinity. It made a great cartoon noise when it lit off and the tire popped on and felt like about 20 pounds pressure in it. I pumped it up with a 12V compressor and then it was good to go. I did burn some hair on the back of my hand but I have time to grow it back before winter truly sets in.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've seen that done on transport truck tires, there's an air powered "gun" that works on the same theory as a spudgun, a valve suddenly releases a blast of air between the rim and tire and pops it onto the bead. Hope I'm never so desperate to try the ether, not sure what the worst that could happen is but probably more than a few scorched hairs.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

There is an experienced tire changer about 15 miles from me that services the big off road machines. I had him changing a tractor tire for me at his shop and we were chatting and he told me he had flooded a smaller truck tire with starting fluid and seated it then checked the pressure as an experiment. He said that he could not get more than about 30 PSI with his attempts. I use this method when desperate and the wind is not blowing hard.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

first time i seen that done was on a large tracter tire .after the guy dumped half a can of ether to itiwalked quickly down the street!buddy came here to pick up a haybine with his dads transport.tire leaded air on the way here. three times of tring(not enough ether)got the hair singed on my knukkles and the tire blowed up!propane torch is safer but still best not to be done!

5. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

I've done it before on tractor-trailer tires ... no big deal.

Although I never had to try it on smaller vehicle tires, I wouldn't hesitate. (Theory: If the tire is so flimsy that it splits, it probably shouldn't be driven on anyway.)

I sure wouldn't think of trying it on garden tractor or wheelbarrow tires.

6. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I've used the same method when changing ATV tires. Works for me.