Be prepared for a loud night

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Dec 31, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Local neighbors are shooting off fireworks, I don't know why. Just a waste of money in my opinion. Apparently the 'celebration bug' has infected them. Why, its just another day, it just happens to be labeled New Years. This does not make it more important than other days.

We do not celebrate any holidays, why, they are not important to us. Surviving each day seem reason to celebrate. I do it in a quiet little way each evening, birthdays mean nothing, I have been through too many of them. Holidays are for children, not yet accustom to ignoring them, is it too late to sign up for the Grinch of Christmas finals?

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Our neighbours always fire off a few rounds at midnight - not really my idea of celebrating, but I don't suppose they are all that enthused about my Hogmanay bonfire. I totally disagree about holidays being for children - holidays and the traditions associated with them connect us to family, home, community and culture.

3. Melissa

Melissa member

Honestly, I never understand why this particular time is the New Year. It makes no sense to me to start a new year right now. Maybe March would be better. What is the reason?

4. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Don't be such a grouch, moonpups. It's just a little celebration, ease up a bit and enjoy. We have a few fireworks left over from July 4th that we will light off tonight. It's a time to be with family, kick back a bit, and enjoy a clear colorful night on the homestead as we bring in the new year. A new year filled with hope, optimism, and opportunity... if you choose to view it that way.

5. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

To each his own. Celebrate if you want to or ignore it if you want to. Some years I party, and some years I go to sleep early. It all depends on the mood I'm in at the time. Tonight, I have family here who want to watch the ball drop. They'll be glued to the TV and I'll be glued to the computer unless I fall asleep early. LOL

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Just hearing annoying noises from a few hundred yards away, why don't they spend $15,000.00 or $20,000.00 to give us a real light show?

Do recognize this sense of humor it totally warped. Also, my wind up flashlight is discharged, could wake up Fla Gal if I chose to wind it.

You don't want to know about that.

7. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Well, I hope all the bangitty bang pop don't bother you too much tonight. We used to be able to hear who-all in the neighborhood had handguns at midnight on New Year's.

8. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Not sure where your located
    If its fairly well timed out it might well be some of my buddies .
    You would be shocked at how much time and money many put into shooting fireworks in an effort to bring a little joy to others .Its their hobby ,no differnet than planting a flower garden or painting a picture or even sewing a quilt . Though to be honest those hobbies often take less time and planning than a good display . You are correct though it isnt cheap , on average even a nice consumer shoot costs $50+ per minute a professional display can end up being $10,000+ per minute neither include the cost of labor.
    Guess you can be thankful your not our neighbor we do three large shoots a year 2-5 hours worth and a couple short one 20-30 minutes . Most people enjoy them we have drawn spectators from 50 miles away . the next ones in May feel free to drop by and enjoy good fire works and good food . Guys from all over the country come just to show off their ablity.

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I don't begrudge others their celebration - whatever floats your boat -

but give me the timberwolves and the Northern Lights anytime over a fireworks display.

10. WendyW.

WendyW. Well-Known Member

Spinner, it sounds like you and I have the same plans tonight! LOL
    Hubby is out there with the kids and my brother, his girlfriend and their little boy. They've got a bonfire going and the firecrackers are deafening!
    I'm here in front of the computer. Most years I feel like being out there too but this year I'm just not in the mood. I haven't enjoyed the holidays at all this year. Just feels kinda depressing for some reason.

11. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

My neighbours are planning on riding through town on a tractor and manure spreader letting off fireworks from the spreader. They've somehow managed to convince themselves that firing fireworks in the middle of the road from a vehicle is legal as long as the driver stops before they do it. Don't think they've thought it through all the way and since they're already as drunk as skunks other than (luckily) the only one of them that knows how to drive a tractor, I think I'll stay off the road.

12. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

One of the things I love about living in the country is that we can have fireworks.

In the city, where I lived until very recently, they're illegal, and you only get to see the big fancy ones at Canada Day or other big celebrations.

We lit a few (about $20 worth) for my son's birthday in the spring, it was fun. :) We aren't doing any tonight, but will probably do some again just for the fun of it ... it's a novelty for us, I guess, and we think it's really neat.

Then again, we have no neighbours to be bothered by it ... the acreages on either side of us are just 'vacation spots' and the rest is pasture or hayfield.

Batten down, and wait till 1 am ... it'll be over soon. :)

13. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Nothing personal but I hope they get arrested.
    while enjoying fireworks is fine . shooting fireworks while intoxicated and in an unsafe manner puts everyone in danger

14. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

As a family, we have always enjoyed fireworks. Now that the sons are grown and gone, we still shoot them, but I miss the boys' enjoyment.

Each rocket we shot tonight was accompanied by a prayer for Cole and the anticipation that he will watch us shoot them next year at this time. :)

15. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

I am not sure what they were setting off, but I think it was black powder bombs. They went off and shook the house. Luckily, it started raining and they went inside. I thought we were getting bombed here...

16. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Don and I fired two shots from the 12 guage at midnight. Will do it again next year, and the next, and the next.

You know, I really don't understand someone SO intent on being SO miserable they begrudge OTHER people celebrating what little happiness they find in life.

17. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Westwood, the sounds penetrate me as would a 2 inch thorn would penetrate you, I am a Viet Nam vet.

18. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Not a sound here.Didnt see any fireworks,good thing,we are a tinderbox up here.

BooBoo :gromit:

19. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

I just put all the horses in the main barn for New Years Eve. I don't want one to run thru the fence.

20. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

:goodjob: