Be Careful With Livestock

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Quint, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Being a country boy I'm not exactly unfamiliar with livestock but that familiarity can get you hurt. Like so many mishaps the words that come to mind are: It's my own fault....I know better than that.

I've been taking care of a neighbor's cows while he is on vacation. Something I do once in a while. Nothing too demanding really just move them from pasture to pasture and water them if they don't have access to a pond. I'd hardly even call it work. Heck I enjoy being around cattle and kinda enjoy it to be honest. The cows are really cooperative and docile and they've been around people so much they're more like pets.

Anyway, today I was going to move them to a pasture that has a pond and more shade since it is going to be so hot over the next few days. Hardly a dangerous job and something I have done hundreds of times. Well I opened up the gate and the cows started to wander over to head to the new pasture. I noticed a heavy wire sticking out and a sharp piece of metal on the gate and since it is a quite narrow gate I figured I had better clip off the wire and bend the metal so a cow wouldn't snag itself on it. The cows were some distance away from the gate so I got my pliers and went to work fixing it. The cows got to the gate but they were leisurely passing through single file and I thought I would be fine working to try to fix the offending metal and wire. I was kneeling down finishing up when I heard a commotion sort of a rumble. Something had startled the cattle and they started to all push through the gate at once. I quickly tried to stand up but got pinned between the gate and post and the cows. I got crunched really good. Very hard. Several times. I'm a big guy at around 6'7" and 290 but that is nothing compared to a cow. Cows hit far harder than any football player that I encountered and I wasn't wearing pads. I managed to get up and over the gate and away from the cows but I was hurting. I'm not sure what scared them exactly. The only thing I saw were an abundance of horseflies. They were fine once they got in the other pasture and had a few minutes to calm down.

My knee got torqued pretty good and my hip was really sore and I knew I had cracked a rib at least. The pain was pretty intense especially in my side so I figured a trip to the ER was in order. A few x-rays later the doc proclaimed I had 3 cracked ribs, sprained my lower back, seriously bruised my hips and probably tore my MCL,ACL and possibly tore my meniscus (sp?). Basically tore my knee up worse than it was before which was bad enough because I already had tears in the ligaments. Wrenched my shoulder pretty good too but he said they can't tell much about that damage until the swelling goes down. He told me I was very lucky I didn't break my pelvis and puncture a lung. I'll probably have an MRI on my knee next week. It was already a mess so I'm curious to see how much worse it is. Might have to have my shoulder imaged also if it isn't any better. Oh well, I've been hurt worse and the pain is quite bearable with some medication. Could have been much worse. A broken pelvis can kill you.

Anyway, just use my little accident as a reminder to not get too complacent around your livestock. Remember to always leave yourself an out and never turn your back on them. I knew better but figured I could get away with it just this once. Stupidity hurts and rightly so. Lucky I didn't fool around and kill my silly ass.

2. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I hope you feel better soon.

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Wow.... I guess almost everyone gets one of these reminders sooner or later. I hope your feeling better soon and that shoulder's not serious.

Kaza

4. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

Ouch! I cracked a rib once horsing-around with my son, my nephews, and a football. I can't even imagine how much pain you're in. Heal quickly!

5. brosil

brosil Well-Known Member Supporter

I've spent the last 10 yrs. trying to get across to the wife that animals do what they want to not what you wnt them to or what you think they should do. She wanted to work with larger animals so we now have a 600lb feeder steer. She's continueing her education.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Ah, but you should see the poor cow!

7. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Boy Quint, that was a close one. I hope you are quick healer and the MRI doesn't paint a worse picture. I had to stop the kids once from playing under the horses. They were chasing each other and running around and underneath the horses. :eek: They nearly scared me to death. They both got taught a lesson that day. And completely mucking the barn helped drive it home. :)

8. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

OUCH!!!

Thanks for the reminder, and I hope you feel better soon!

9. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Wow Quint!
    Glad to hear you made it out alive,thank goodness at least for that.Thank you for sharing for all our sakes.

BooBoo

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Wow! Hope you heal rapidly!

Good of you to point out that it doesn't have to be an aggressive animal to hurt you. Lots of ways accidents can happen, so we need to be careful. How many of us have had close calls, and ignored the warning? I know I've leaned over a goat for something, only to have the head come up to see what I was doing...just to smack me square in the nose. You'd think after picking myself and my bleeding nose up off the ground, I'd remember. No, I've done that twice now.

I pick up curious turkeys with sharp beaks and make no provision for keeping them away from my eyes, other than my regular glasses. I allow the meat kids to jump on me for petting, knowing they'll never get to be 150 pounds and do it...but that makes them easier to trip over. I stay outside when hubby is mowing, even after the mower threw that piece of wood right through the siding of the house...

I think I will try to keep a picture of you in my head to remind me to be more careful. Thanks, and take care of yourself!
    Meg

11. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the kind words.

I'm still pretty sore obviously. I slapped a brace on my knee so I can get around pretty well. My lower back hurts like sin and my ribs are about the same. Hurts to breathe. I've enlisted the able services of Mr. Vicodin which dulls everything down to a bearable level. Could have been worse. Serves me right for being so careless.

I noticed that when I went back to check on the cows they all looked kinda guilty. I did keep on the other side of the gate when they came running after hearing me rattle a white feed bucket.

12. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Sorry that it had to hurt that much to learn a lesson. Thats for sharing....first thing I thought of is....Vitamin E (low dose) for the insides to heal better, and Glucosamine Condroitin for the knee later when it bothers you. Might want to get a hot tub if all that stuff bothers you in later years.

13. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Wow, you got lucky - I'm glad you lived to tell about it. I hope you mend quickly.

/VM

14. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder, I have seen our few cows get scared and they get crazy really fast. A few months ago I was having my jersey AI'd and I had my hand on her head, she was in the squeeze chute. The vet grabbed her tail and she shot her head up right against the steel bars with my hand in between. I thought I would die, but I was ok and only got a nasty bruise.
    The only thing funny was having to explain AI'ing to my non country friends when they saw my hand.

Get well quick, and you might try birch oil for those ribs. It should help with the soreness.

Thanks

15. Merrique

Merrique Well-Known Member

Quint,

I am glad you are okay and thank you for the reminder. I know I have been injured more than once by my livestock. Once had an extremely ornery buck catch me on the side of the face (ended up with a black eye). The worst thing that ever happened to me was being kicked by my 1000 lb. heifer, she knocked me into an electric fence that was ran around a small area with a charger that was good for 50 miles of fence, I thought I died.

16. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I've never had it happen to me but have thought about that when I'm bent over putting water in the water pan and the goats are over getting a drink - with their head several inches away from my face!!!

Yes, never trust an animal. That friendly bull "who would never hurt a fly" might suddenly be having a bad day and decide to take it out on you. And it doesn't even have to be an animal trying to hurt you as accidents happen.

So anytime you are with your animals, try to think "Safety" so you don't end up in a bad situation!!!