Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIL is an enthusiastic gardener and loves to pull weeds. Some years ago she was at home one morning and decided to pull some large weeds. She piled them in neat piles beside the row and left to run an errand. when she got back her neighbor asked her what was going on, there had been a helicopter hovering overhead and a police car in the road. She assumed they had seen the piles of weeds and thought they were the other kind of weed and came to check it out.

It's not unheard of for someone to grow MJ in their garden. A friend was in the yard of a house he was renting and a county cop he knew stopped to pass the time of day. The cop looked across the yard and spotted Marijuana growing among the renter's garden plants. The renter fessed up and said that was one way he got some extra money in the winter.

Some growers will slip some plants into a large cornfield. It seems they show up rather well from the air.

COWS

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
My DH is friends with a lot of rancher kids in the area. One year when they were in high school there was a HUGE bust on one of the ranchers properties. Someone had been growing weed in their winter pasture and since they own so much land they hadn't noticed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First time we did a container garden we had the helicopters circling. First time the helicopter showed up they probably watched us for a good 30 min or so, then came back a few weeks later to check again.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Ditch weed grows n the sides of the road here, everywhere!
Whole pastures are just full of the stuff.
I wonder sometimes if the powers that be, have maps of where the wild stuff is, so they know when someone is actually cultivating the "good stuff"....

·
Premium Member
23,896 Posts
Ya, first time was about 3 years ago. The black suv's rolled into the neighbors, I was on our little side porch. The chopper came right above me, the top of the maple tree, "cop" had his weapon trained on me. I got up and ran down to the cows to see if they were spooked. The reason I did that was because of an experiance I had with a hot air balloon thinking of landing in our cow pasture-another story that didn't end well. Anyhow the chopper followed me ,ofcourse I had to go right past my corn patch to get to the cows. Between the suv's,cops,choppers, I'm kinda woundering how much they spent on a 175. ticket.
This year, the chopper saw me in my Golden Raspberry patch, they came back a second time for a better look. I didn't wave,didn't want to seem snarky. But I do wave when it's Military...

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
We bought 35 acres to put a house on. Well, before that got done my husband switched jobs and we knew we had to move closer to the job. In the meantime, our neighbor continued to grow corn on the acreage. Another neighbor was always checking on the property and basically scaring prospective buyers away. Eventually my RE agent finally told me (her DH is a deputy) that the sheriff’s office was keeping an eye on the corn field because there was marijuana planted in the field.

·
Saltine American
6,591 Posts
Funny Story..

Years ago, I had to drive down a fairly busy road to get to my house. The homeowner of a modest house built a brick wall around his backyard, He was growing weed back there and attaching faux flowers to the plants.

His neighbors could see his backyard from their second floor and turned him in.

T

·
0 Posts
When I was a young newlywed, I had many house plants - the 1st Husband planted weed in one of my potted plants. It was a pretty plant, kinda fernlike... It didn't dawn on me what he had done for quite some time. I often wonder if the landlord ever stopped by & saw that.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
There is an ongoing case now in the county where I live. An old man had a large field of the stuff growing on his rural property of several hundred acres. The feds came in and charged him and his son with growing weed. The first time it went to trial it was a hung jury. They could not prove he had knowledge it was there and did not find him cultivating it in any way. Funny how the news paper reported on it. They said he had marajauna cultivating and harvesting equipment and they gave some big $$$ figure. When they finally got to the end of the article they mentioned the equipment consisted of various tractors and field implements!!! What farmer does not have tractors and field implements??

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
SP, As far as I know there is no Hemp crop legal to grow in the U.S. many universities have done test and developed strains of hemp that have almost zero levels of THC. To the point you could smoke it all day and never get any kind of high from it. According to the FED's if there is "Any" measurable amount of THC it is illegal. SO far no one has developed anything like this with zero THC.
I am not a proponent of legalized marajana, although I do think it is probably a safer drug than alcohol. I do know hemp is a viable crop which can be made into many different products, it would be beneficial for a textile crop for sure.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
When we used to live in the 'burbs, we thought it was funny to grow a big clump of Texas Star Hibiscus in the front flower beds. It's a gorgeous flower but it always managed to fool LE, who would slow down/stop for a look.

A few years back, we had a black helicopter hovering over the little 10' x 10' tomato patch out back----I presume because we had black shade cloth above the plants. Sorta ticked me off at the time but now, when we put up the shade cloth each year, I kinda wish they'd come back again, just for the chuckle factor. :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
We had the helicopter over our home once. I thought they had some kind of weapon trained on the house but it was a device for checking for grow lights. The neighbor exactly one mile south was growing it in his house and they were a mile off. We walked beans for my uncle back in the day. There were several rows planted in one of his fields. Obviously planted in straight rows between the rows of beans. Perfect spot as that field was only accessible by a dirt road then a fence row. Who ever planted it took it before he could turn it in. My bet is on his step-sons!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I like the perspective from the rest of the world. L.E has cut down about 100,000 plants in my county so far this year and that is just the outdoor grown. With the first rains of the season, they will switch to indoor now.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts