Be a farm coach

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My mom has a good friend here in the states who is originally from a middle eastern country (a peaceful one, as far as that can be). This friend's husband wants to farm. He wants to raise some kind of meat animal, but is unsure of what exactly.

He wants me to teach him. Money is no object. He said he'd pay to fly us (me, my mom, my ex even) out to this country to help him get started. He'd pay me too.

I don't know a darn thing about middle eastern countries, let alone how to farm in them. As far as I know, it's all desert out there. I don't even know what crops they grow for feed. I don't know anything!

I don't see how I could give this guy his money's worth. Travelling to that country would be scary, but I'd be with them, so that helps, but I just don't see where I could benefit him. However, I sure hate to let it go. If he could figure out the basics of his country, well...I can surely take care of a cow there same as here.

What do you all think?

Jena

2. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

If you know the guy and you trust him, I'd say why not!! Why not have an adventure.You could help him with a lot of things; handling pens, corrals, shelters, vaccinations, meds etc......Just make sure you get a round trip ticket.

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Jena

Which country? Contrary to popular belief, middle eastern countries are not all one giant desert - just a larger percentage of the land is arid.

Please note my tag line....

4. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Which country are we talking about? Sounds to me like a serious mistake, on HIS part. Farming is just as competitive a business here in the Middle East as it is in the US. A novice is just going to lose his shirt, just like he would in the US.

But if you DO fly out, and come through Dubai, make sure to give me a shout!

5. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I've not yet had the chance to travel there, but have heard wonderful stories about the lush, gorgeous gardens in Jordan.

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm kinda like you Jena. If his farm has sufficient timely rainfall, or doable irragation there, there are already people right there doing what he wants to do. They would know what feed and fertilizers are avaible to them, what breeds of livestock do well there, and what the market wants in the meat line.
    Why would he want someone who would have to learn all this to teach him. It seems reasonable that he would get needed advice locally. I know you have a vast store of knowledge about raising and slaughtering livestock that he might find hard to duplicate locally, but most of that could be related to him over the internet.
    I'd do a lot of email work with him before packing my laundry and heading out. Ask questions.
    Good luck, Unk

7. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

If the guy is loaded enough to fly you out and pay you, its unlikely that he'll be doing any of the actual farming himself. Rich people in the middle east hire stuff done.Labor, even skilled labor, is dirt cheap. He could easily find a competent farm manager I'm sure.What country are you talking about? Be VERY careful.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

9. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

This doesn't add up to me. Why would someone who is so wealthy not want the local experts? He also sounds very vague on his goals for the project.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

LOL, same thing I would say. I don't understand why he wouldn't hire someone from his country (perhaps away from a successful current farmer) who knew more about THAT country.

And as an aside... I've seen this question several times and it's always strange to me that it's an American woman that is getting asked to do this. Is it a "trophy" of some sort?

11. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

This deal smells to high heaven of trouble and peril for you. Run away from it and forget the darn money!

12. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

I would not go. That is my gut feeling. Something is not right.

If he has so much money why doesn't he come here and learn whatever he is in need of knowing.

I would not trust this as far as I can see this computer.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Before I would do anything I'd contact the state department and get any information they have on cattle ranching in that country. That would help you get an idea on how legitimate his offer is.

14. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

It is not the same as farming here. Many places the electric power is off more than it is on. Water is in very short supply and allocated. Fuel may or may not be available. Temperatures can be extreme. Fertilizer may be road apples only. Hay is non existent. The cows may be buffalos. Tractors are community owned it they exist at all. Pests and poachers can be a problem. Vet supplies are reserved for the humans. Breeding stock is not available or very very expensive. The soil is totally depleted. There is no natural vegetation. All or most labor is manual. I worked offshore for 5 years. You are an employee 24/7 whether your are on the job or not. Travel is often restricted, graft is prevelent, an element of danger exists most of the time, food stuffs are questionable, you are not trusted, disease exposure is a high risk, medical attention is scarce and poor. Looking forward to coming home is always nice however. Stay here!

15. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Well, that was my impression....it is weird, it doesn't make sense and I don't think I'd be of much use, really.

I don't think I'll be packing my bags anytime soon. I will talk to him though. My mom said that he and his wife really want to return to their country (Jordan), but they are discouraged by the high cost of living. If he wants to set up a farm here, I'd help, but how much of that knowledge is really transferable? I know how to raise cows in IL, but I'd have to re-learn it all for somewhere like Texas! It's just different, everywhere you go.

I would have to have a lot of convincing evidence to get me to go to a foreign country, especially in an area not very friendly to women.

Jena

16. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

Jordan? Not a chance. If you were a man I'd tell you not to go. Just be very gracious, and thank him profusely for the offer, but there's just no way you can leave your home adn your family and your friends and your animals. Your heart dwells in Texas just as his heart dwells in Jordan. Wish him all the best, and tell him you will think of him often. Be as flowery and warm and fuzzy as you can, but refuse in no uncertain terms.

No need to tell him he's a complete nutter with all the screws loose in his head: just think that quietly to yourself!

17. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

Respectfully decline!!