BB Question

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Vera, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I was emptying out a box and came across the stuff that was included with the BB gun that I bought this spring. There's a baggie with little dull silver mushroom-shaped thingies, and I simply canNOT remember what they're supposed to be used for (as opposed to the little round copper pellets which I've been using ever since getting the BB).

Help me out, would you? And try not to make fun of me. This is my first BB gun ever :) What's the difference between the mushroom thingies and the round things?

2. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Mushroom thingies are pellets, shoot one at a time at targets.

3. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

The pelets are heavier ,hit much harder and( if you have a bb/ pellet combo gun) only the pellets will spin by coming in contact with the rifling in the barrel. The bbs don't fly as straight and are not nearly as accurate as they are smaller and bump along the length of the barrel until the exit (often slightly off the intended path)

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

You'll shoot your eye out!! You shouldn't have access to a BB gun or any other kind of gun beyond a squirtgun! I'm not making fun of you! You really do need to have some instruction! Those mushroom-shaped ''thingies'' are pellets. They are designed to be more accurate in whatever airgun that you have than those round ''thingies''. Hopefully you will get some training before you hurt yourself or someone else!

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Kewl, thanks for the info! Now I remember. That's what I'd been told :)

Bgak, it's far too late for that warning, but thanks all the same. There are quite a few Minnesota squirrels and a few birds who would agree with you that I shouldn't have any kind of gun, along with Arizona rabbits and elk, coyote, skunks, coon - not to mention about a million poor hapless dented .22 casings that I used as targets across a canyon in my ongoing attempts to learn how to shoot my eye out. Still haven't learned, but let's not give up hope, eh?

(At least I know by now that they're called ".22 casings"... I used to call them "those little pipe thingies that are left over after you shoot rabbits")

6. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

I always thought they were the little pipe thingies left over after you shot AT rabbits -- you mean your supposed to hit them??? Hmmmmmm

7. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

.22's may be cheap, but that's no reason to waste them on shooting AT something, don't you think? Me, I expect to see a little cloud of departed spirit drift up from anything I spend a bullet (or BB) on, including .22 casings. And rabbits. Yeah, you have to hit them for that :)

8. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

Hey there,Vera.Didn't anybody ever yell ya' that pretty girls that blast rabbits with pellet guns belong down south?Please refer to the manual. :p
    Airguns tend to be EXTREMELY particular about what you put through them,even moreso than rimfire cartridges.If you experiment a little,you'll likely find a pellet that vastly outperforms other pellets in your rifle.
    I've small game hunted with lotsa' the more common airguns over the years,and if you can tell me a make and model,I might be able to drop some advice.
    For the most part,I've been unimpressed with the pointed,hollow point,and magnum pellets for hunting.I like whatever match grade pellet fires most accurately from a given rifle,bein as how with most airguns,you aint workin' with a heckuva' lot of kenetic energy to begin with,regaurdless of the pellet.Go with what's accurate,and put that little bit of energy right where it oughta' go.
    One exception would be my Gamo 220 hunter,which for some reason,shoots RWS hollow points very well,and pushes 'em fast enough to open 'em up.

9. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

Vera.....if you shoot the bb gun like the fuji....watch out ....you be eating groundhog and rabbit soon.....guys i bet she put all of us to shame on the shooting range.also vera i seen a guy do some tests with those pellets and they would go half way through a bar of soap.and thats harder than vitals on a rabbit or squirrel for sure.they got new bb guns out that you can kill deer with in the 50 caliber range....now that would be a big bb gun....lol