BB Gun Questions--having problems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rio002, Aug 8, 2006.

1. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Hi all, we bought our son a BB gun for his 8th birthday. It's a Daisy Grizzly BB or Pellet gun. Along with teaching him to handle it just like any other gun, and lots of supervision, it has of course had alot of use in the past 3 weeks. Problem is --it no longer seems to have the power it did when we first got it, it has been oiled but now instead of shooting over a 200ft. and very straight--it only shoots about 35ft and you can see the BB drop to the ground. It is the single pump action, we haven't dropped it or anything, so I am curious as to what's wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks! :shrug:

2. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Sounds like maybe a manufacturer defect or someone pumped it and left it that way for longtime. Also look for ubstruction in the barrel (doubt this is it). The rings can wear out from pumping and leaving it. If that hasnt happened then call the manufacturer and explain your disappointment. If your lucky they will replace it for free. 3 weeks is too soon maybe 3 years!
    Oh almost forgot you can take back to your local store if not bought online! Most stores have a 6 week return time with receipt.

3. Topaz Farm

Topaz Farm Well-Known Member

Can't answer your question, but my GS has a BB gun and it is the same way.

:shrug:

IIRC, when my Brother and Cousin had BB guns they didn't have this problem. (many many years ago)

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Try opening the pump lever all the way and putting some oil in the piston . Most pneumatic guns use felt washers for compression and they need to be moist with oil. A drop or 2 of motor oil is better then a WD-40 type oil. If that doesnt work contact Daisy. They should repair or replace it. Im betting its something really simple

5. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

if you put more than a drop or two literally in the oil hole it will do that sometimes

6. dheat

dheat Well-Known Member

rio002,

go to Air guns - Pyramyd Air Report and either search the blog entries or ask "B.B. Pelletier" a question. I recently agonized over selecting an air rifle and the information I found there and a few exchanges with B.B. were extremely helpful.

HTH,

Doug

7. Hetty

Hetty Active Member

hi
    My son says that a few drops of oil around the washer/seal might fix it, but definately no petroleum based oil. Silicone oil is ideal, even cooking oil, but any petroleum based oil will destroy the seals.

8. Wildtim

Wildtim Well-Known Member

Funny I've got a daisy I picked up at a garage sale twenty years ago and it still works as well as it ever did. I always just used motor oil in it when I remembered to.

9. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! We'll try the motor oil and if that doesn't do it I'll contact Daisy. (we bought it at WalMart and they seem to really have issues about ummmmm helping anyone here lol) Thanks again!!

10. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah btw, the old Red Rider BB gun I have had since God was a boy has never had any problems, in fact haven't oiled it in about 5 years and it currently out shoots the new Grizzly---wondering about quality control issues at Daisy seems to have slipped. :)

11. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

So if I do get my ds a BB gun I will be sure not to get a Daisy.

12. Boleyz

Boleyz Prognosticator, Artist

I'd say you've got a damaged O ring or seal. Could be it was over-pumped and the pressure has caused a seal or O ring to be displaced a bit. Box it up and send it back to the company....they'll probably fix it for free..