Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in zone 5 so some things just don't grow here. I've successfully had rosemary in a pot in my kitchen for the last couple of years. Will bay laurel also grow in a pot, or is it an outdoor plant only?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll give it a go, then. As a backup, I'll send a plant to my sister in Oregon to grow outside. I hope she wants some. :p

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's in the Territorial Seed Company catalog.

G

·
Mines in a pot, but they are naturally small trees so be prepared for it to want to get rather large over the course of time.

.....Alan.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I got mine last spring at a local nursery. They had them with all their annual herbs.

I grew up in California where they grow as huge trees, so I was pretty happy to have one in Pennsylvania as a "house plant".

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have been interested in Bay Laurel trees for a couple of years now. I am also in zone 5. The plants are not common in a neighborhood near you, but not hard to locate on line. The will survive down to almost zero, and grow to 75 feet. A greenhouse enables a 6 foot tall tree in a large container to be happy. I think zone 5 is the limit and a bout of bad weather would kill them(it) unless you have them(it) in a greenhouse. I am not ready to take that gamble on an expensive plant. I will get ready first. I wish you good luck and look forward to your updates.
Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts