Baught Land - Self Sufficientency

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sinenian, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

My parents finally settled the deal with a neighbor moving away.
    He owned a farmet, with pasture land and feilds.

Here are some things my family are adding on

-More feilds
    -25 Acres of Pasture land - (See Cattle Boards)
    -A little over an acre of gardened land right by our old property line

With the acre of gardened land we plan to start a garden.
    See, we used to have 1 garden for ourself (not enough to have enough food year round) and then 2 gardens (right next to eachother) we marketed. I marketed one and my parents did the other and marketed.

Now, I am going to combine both gardens for myself and market all those vegtables.
    With the new garden land, we plan to make a whole garden just for ourselves, with a cherry tree and 2 apple trees (Our whole family working on this one). Then turning the land we used to have for ourselves into the garden my parents garden and marketed.
    (^If that is confusing I'll try to explain).

My question is, with a little over an acre of garden land, will that be enough vegtables year round for 2 adults, a 14 year-old (me) and my little brother and 11 year-old? We plan to can once all is harvested.

We plan to hardly have to go to the grocery store, only mainly for things like sugar, cinomin, salt, pepper, etc.

2. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

This list was taken from an article written by Jackie Clay for Backwoods Home Magazine. You can find the entire article at http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay55.html.

This list is for a family of three. If you have a family of 4, increase the amount by 25%, a family of 6, by 50%, etc.

Grains
    · 300 pounds of hard wheat or in combination with 150 pounds of wheat and 150 pounds of flour.
    · 50 pounds of dry corn to grind for cornmeal
    · 50 pounds of soft wheat
    · 50 pounds white rice
    · 50 pounds brown rice
    · 50 pounds oatmeal
    · 25 pounds of masa harina de maize (corn flour for tortillas and tamales)

Legumes

· 50 pounds of pinto beans
    · 50 pounds of combined other beans, such as navy, kidney, etc.
    · 20 pounds of split peas
    · 20 pounds lentils

Dairy

· 18 #10 cans dry milk or in combination with boxes of store-bought dry milk
    · 2 #10 cans cheese powder
    · 5 #10 cans dehydrated eggs
    · 3 #10 cans butter or margarine

Sugar

· 50 pounds white granulated sugar
    · 10 pounds brown sugar
    · 10 pounds powdered sugar

Shortening/Oil

· 10 3# cans shortening
    · 5 48 fl. oz. bottles vegetable oil
    · 2 16 fl. oz. bottles olive oil

Salt

· 10 pounds iodized table salt (used in pickling & meat preservation as well as table use)

Fruits

· 52 pints peaches
    · 52 pints apple sauce
    · 52 pints fruit cocktail
    · 52 quarts apples (includes pies, etc.)
    · 52 pints pears
    · 104 pints misc. fruits
    · 1 #10 can raisins
    · 1 #10 can dehydrated strawberries
    · 2 #10 cans dehydrated apple slices
    · 2 #10 cans dehydrated banana slices

Vegetables
    · 104 pints of green beans
    · 104 pints of sweet corn
    · 104 pints of carrots
    · 104 quarts of tomatoes
    · 104 pints of tomato sauce
    · 104 half pints tomato paste
    · 104 quarts of potatoes and/or 22 pounds instant potatoes
    · 26 quarts of squash or pumpkin
    · 26 pints beets
    · 2 #10 cans dehydrated sweet corn
    · 4 #10 cans dehydrated peas
    · 1 #10 can dehydrated onions
    · 2 #10 cans dehydrated broccoli

Pasta

·15 pounds spaghetti
    ·6 pounds assorted noodles
    ·6 pounds lasagna

Meat

· 52 pints lean beef/venison roast
    · 52 pints chicken/turkey
    · 52 pints ham/fish/misc.
    · 52 cans tuna
    · 52 cans Spam
    · 52 pints home canned hamburger for tacos, casseroles, etc.
    · 1 #10 can ea. TVP (textured vegetable protein), bacon, chicken)

Seeds

A heavy selection of garden seeds to replenish your food supply, should the period of hard times last longer than a few months. Always opt for the worst and prepare ahead.
    Most garden seeds last for years, if kept dry. One notable exception is onion seed, which should be replaced yearly.

Miscellaneous

· 1 pound baking soda
    · 3 pounds baking powder
    · 1 pound dry yeast
    · spices usually used
    · 25 dozen canning jar lids, wide mouth & regular
    · coffee, tea, powdered drink mixes in sufficient quantity
    · A grain mill to grind grains
    · An Amish or other “cooking with basics” cookbook or two
    · 1 gallon inexpensive pancake syrup
    · An assortment of “treats”, such as pickles, jams, preserves

3. albionjessica

Wow. I really didn't think it was that long. Looked a lot shorter in the article. :)

4. Sinenian

Sinenian Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a really helpful post
    I think I'll print that and show my parents.

Thanks Albion.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

It probably WOULD be enough, though you will likely buy some fresh foods to add variety.

US Americans are spoiled enough to like fresh fruit and salad in the winter time, even though we ALSO eat canned carrots.

By the way, home made pumpkin pie is PRIMO! You don't HAVE to buy those little cans of pumpkin! :goodjob:

6. Turalura

Turalura Well-Known Member

Albion,
    Here is a great learning site for you:
    http://www.gardenweb.com/
    You can find the hardiness zones for plants, ask questions, join forum discussions and learn all about any aspect of gardening. Enjoy!!!

Also there's a book called 'Two Acre Eden' by Gene Logsdon that is funny but has lots of good ideas in it. Check to see if your library has it.

7. albionjessica

I think carrots are great dried. You can rehydrate them by soaking them in water for a few minutes, but they are so much easier to store dried. Same with brocolli, cauliflower, lemons, and other various fruits and veggies. (A lemon pie made with dried & ground lemons is to die for.)

There is also freezing if you have a large enough freezer. Frozen veggies are so easy to use in meals because you can cut them all up into the sizes you will use before you put them in storage. Cuts down on prep time.

Don't forget about utilizing your basement or cellar for storing apples, squashes, potatoes, dried herbs, and other stuff. Carrots from your garden can stay good up to 6 months (never tried after a longer time period) in loose dirt in a barrel in the cellar... so you can still have fresh garden produce even in January. There are a lot of little tricks to long-term storage, like wrapping apples in newspaper and not storing certain produce right next to others. Look up food processing on Amazon.com and you will find a lot of great books on the subject.

Good luck on your venture! I can't wait for the day when we have land enough to garden on this scale!

8. albionjessica

I just read that book! How funny! It's from the 70's, so it's a bit out of date, but still was a good read. Lately, I've been reading a lot about companion planting and organic gardening, but that's another topic.

9. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

I have been a vegetarian my entire life so my dietary needs are different then most. I have also done large scale market-gardening most of my life, besides my own family needs...What a person needs to keep in mind,though, as I am sure you are...one cannot control their weather/rainfall in any given season, then there are the other factors such as wild animals...Yet the size of your garden would be dependent more on your methods...are you going to plant wide enough to save on time/labor using your tiller as a weeder...use intensive gardening and micro-climate techniques to save space...Lots of variables to consider. Deb

10. albionjessica

Somewhere else in that article or another one she (Jackie Clay) wrote, she mentioned that one acre of garden will probably not be enough if you also plan on growing all your own corn and grains. One acre could give you all your veggies and fruits if you plan it right. Try looking in a book about square foot gardening, container gardening, and companion planting. Just on our little 6'x12' patio, we are able to do two tomato plants (hanging upside down), 12 strawberry plants, one pole bean, a few pea vines, 6 different herbs, and 2 pepper plants. I think we'll put in some radishes or carrots next year to use up some of the unused space beneath the peas.

11. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You should be able to grow all the veggies and fruits you need on that amt of land. Will you be growing grains on the rest of the land for yourselves and your livestock?

You might want to read any of Ruth Stout's gardening books. Check your local library. They can order any that they don't have on their shelves.

Another really good book is "Solar gardening: Growing Vegetables Year Round the American Intensive Way" by Leandre Poisson, Gretchen Vogel Poisson. (You don't have to buy their product to make mini greenhouses to profit by the book. There are other ways to make coldframes and greenhouse cheap. LOL)

12. JAK

JAK Well-Known Member

Interesting thread.

How much time and energy is involved for self-sufficiency on that scale? How much would you spend on diesel fuel and equipment maintenance for example? Could you produce your own fuel? Could a small draft animal be used more effectively? What would be the annual cost of feed and seed and fertilizer, or can that be self-generated also? How many man-hours per year in this labour of love? Would lower intensity or higher intensity methods be more economical in the long run if the amount of land is not the limiting factor? Lots of variables I know.

Does anyone have any estimates?