Battery Powered chainsaw

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by caballoviejo, Dec 16, 2005.

1. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Anyone ever use the Rigid brand battery-powered chainsaw available in packages at Home Depot.

Thoughts?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

IMHO, a purchase would be a waste of money. I can't believe the battery would have enough power to even saw one cut on a 16" oak trunk. It might be okay for light trimming of yard trees, tho.

3. caballoviejo

Yes, that's the use I'd put it to. Trimming up >1" and very rarely up to 2" limbs. It does use bar oil. If the 18 volt batter will stay charged for and hour, and I've got two batteries, I'd get enough time to accomplish something. For big stuff I'd use other saws anyway but I am groing tired of sucking 2-stroke chainsay oil exhaust for little jobs.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Buy a reciprocating battery powered saw and a selection of blades and you will have a versatile saw for a lot of purposes including tree trimming.

5. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

I have the ryobi and it works great for what you want it for. We carry it and my sawsall around on the train after storms. Been used many times. It's real slow is the only problem.

mikell

6. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I agree. A sawzall would be a better buy

7. caballoviejo

Thanks for the comments. I had originally considered just using a reciprocating say and coarse blades but then ran across the chainsaws among the RYOBI packages.

Wife went to Home Depot today and compared the 10" bar Ryobi chainsaw to others - it as by far the lightest. Home Depot, however said that they did'nt carry the chain for it (although we found some.043 that may fit).