Battery News

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Old Jack, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

This sounds good for solar and other home based energy situations.

http://www.betanews.com/article/print/Toshiba_Battery_Charges_in_One_Minute/1112209978

Toshiba Battery Charges in One Minute
    By Ed Oswald, BetaNews
    March 30, 2005, 2:12 PM

Impatient people may find Toshiba's latest invention something that would fit their lifestyle. The company announced Tuesday that it had discovered a way to recharge a Lithium-Ion battery to 80 percent in only one minute. Currently, the fastest batteries take approximately an hour to recharge to the same capacity.

In addition, Toshiba scientists have found a way to extend the usable life of the battery, claiming it will only lose 1 percent of its capacity after 1,000 recharging cycles. The new Li-Ion battery could also operate more reliably at lower temperatures than previous batteries could.

Toshiba plans to bring the new batteries to the market in 2006. According to the company, the technology will initially only be used for automotive and industrial purposes.

The company said it could likely be used in hybrid electric vehicles as an alternative power source.

"Toshiba expects that the high energy density and excellent recharge performance of the new battery will assure its successful application as a new energy solution in many areas of society," the company said in a statement.

According to Toshiba representatives, while they do see such battery technology eventually being used in devices like mobile phones, the priority is on larger machines that require quick recharging and long life, such as automobiles.

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like constructin workers would LOVE this new battery technology for all of their cordless tools. Rather than keep half a dozen spare batteries, they could recharge during a smoke break.

3. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

Milwaukee has a new line of 28 volt cordless tools using advanced Lithium Ion battery. Herre's the blurb in a pdf file: http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/vwPromos/3674467D16F77F0A86256E4A0055C28C/$FILE/HDC_Newsletter_17.pdf?OpenElement

Jim

4. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/vwpromos/3674467d16f77foa86256e4aoo55c28c/$file/hdc_newsletter_17.pdf?openelement

Lets see if this link works.

Edit-no,doesnt work.I did go to the website though and they talk of 28 volt Lithium Ion tools that recharge in 1 hour,was that what you wanted us to look at?Didnt see a pdf. file.

BooBoo

5. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

The link worked for me. A one hour charge is fast, but the original article spoke about a one minute charge time. Of course, the charger would have a higher current draw than the current trickle chargers on the market, but for those who need as fast a battery charge as possible, it would definitely be useful. I know early LiOn batteries had a narsty habit of bursting into flame when charged improperly. Apple had to recall quite a few laptop computers during the early '90s because of that.

6. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

If the battery was very large, it would be impractical to have it charge that fast as the wire sizes would get unmanageable--the wire necessary to carry the heavy current required would be physically large. Even a small battery, maybe 10 amp-hour to pick a figure out of the air, would require more than 10 amps for one hour to charge from a totally discharged state, and 60 times that to charge in a minute, or 600 amps, and then you are talking about huge cables. (Or is it too early for me to be thinking straight?) I'm using 4/0 cables on my batteries at home, with a 250 amp circuit breaker, and 4/0 cables are almost the size of my thumb.

Jim

7. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

I think the most interesting part of the article is the life span of the new battery