battening down the hatches in WA?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jennigrey, Nov 5, 2006.

1. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Any western Washington folks here in a flood-prone area? Our winter creek began running last night. Just a trickle but the pond is already half-full. When it gets full, it runneths over and then everyone downstream from us gets their winter creek too. Tonight the "real" rain starts and continues tomorrow. Tomorrow morning some of our local roads in and out will probably be flooded, but there's one route that should stay passable to get into town.

Hope no one gets washed out! The river nearest us is already pretty swollen. There's always a few dingbats that try to drive over the flooded roads and drown their engines midway across and end up needing rescue.

Here are the predicted numbers from the KOMO forecast:

"2-6" of rain in the lowlands, and upwards of 5-10" in the Cascades and perhaps over 9-10" in the Olympics. For perspective, we usually get about 6" for the entire month of November, and most of Seattle's Top 10 wettest days ever are around 3". (The record being 5.02", set in October of 2003.) Snow levels are up around 10,000 feet, so it's all falling as rain up there."

Lots of flood warnings for the rivers emptying into the Puget Sound.

I am worried about some of my neighbors. There is a trailer park, in particular, that is definitely in harm's way. Hope those folks are doing what needs done. I don't think I'll be able to sleep very well tonight. The 4x4 is stocked with tow ropes and life vests. I think I may have to drive the local roads a few times tonight to ease my mind. I saw people bringing livestock and equipment up from the lower fields as I came back from town today.

2. mayfair

mayfair a yard full of chickens

Stay safe! Winter weather is definitely here.

3. homesteadmama

homesteadmama Well-Known Member

The creeks and river are filling up down here on the Nisqually--I just "blew" in from work--looks like we are getting the Columbus Day storm a little later this year! :rolleyes: Hope everyone takes care though--it is nothing to fool with!!

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Be safe and well

5. mothergoose

mothergoose Well-Known Member

Most of you folks don't really know me. I've been a reader here for years but only post once in a great while. This topic hits right on my doorstep. I am a born and raised Washingtonian. Heckers, even have the webbed feet to prove it :) . In all my years here, it has never ceased to amaze me how many people still try to drive roads that are washed out. One year, when I was dispatching for the fire dept. on Vashon Island, we had quite a rough winter. I was amazed how many people called to see we could send a crew out to their place to pump out their basements for them.
    When you live in a state that's known for it's rain, it just makes sense to prepare for whatever may come our way. Another pet peeve of mine are the people who keep building their houses on the edge of hills......need I say more? Yes, this one is suppose to be a very wet one. My prayers will be for all who live in the lowlands. :angel: Please be safe. Toni

6. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Prayers to everyone to stay safe.
    I am in Washingtonian but not in a flood area. I refuse to live purposly in one.I also am a native with webbed feet (for real :) ). The most I have had trouble with is nto slipping to the chicken coop. Oh yes did I mention that we decided to replace out florring in there yesterday - we were wet! :help:
    I have heard second had that the second Narrows bridge project is flooding out :hobbyhors . Sorry I was apposed to the project. Last year they had the hill side give out in the rain. I guess this year all their flood preventions arent working. There have been accidents because of it :flame: . thats one of the reasons I was against a California company building here, they know nothing of our rain :nono: . Ok off soap box now..lol :help: .
    Everyone stay safe and for newbies Welcome to our little more than standard Washington rains.

7. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

The pond has filled from a dry summer/fall, and the rain is heavy in spurts. Wind has been kicking up all night with the usual barrage of fir cones pelting the roof. Willapa River is high, but not bad yet-Raymond/South Bend area was predicted to have tidal flooding yesterday afternoon. The barometer has been dancing all over the scale the past few days-makes for interesting headaches at times! Other than that, things are soggily normal for this time of year. Time to lay a chunk of alder in the stove for the day. Be safe-Dan

8. Burbsteader

Burbsteader Well-Known Member

Thankfully DH is good about cleaning out the ditches (one is a diverted creek). He keeps them clear of weeds in the winter that would slow the water down and cause it to spill over.

Other than than tossing the lawn chairs and toys under the kids playset, there isn't much to be done.

I'm driving the kids to school today (one usually walks to grade school, one takes the bus to middle school) and I'm having a hard time getting motivated. Very hard time. :help:

The worst part is that my stove died on me this weekend and I can't even make some hot cocoa! :Bawling:
    But I am getting a new gas stove WooHoo!....but it won't be here until tomorrow.
    (I have backups for cooking, but I am not in the mood to fire up the Coleman just for some cocoa.)

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

So far we not having a hard time with the rain. I am also a born n bred Washington native. Today we are getting the wind from the 'banana belt express' What a blustery day!!! But at least its not cold. Welcome to winter.

10. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I shouldn't have any problem with flooding as I'm on a very big hill. If it floods up here, the state of WA is in big trouble. :)

Down trees due to wet ground and wind is another story however. We are surrounded by many very large evergreen trees. As the developments move closer the natural wind breaks are cut down and the remaining trees take the full brunt of the wind.

We have had trees take the corner of the house off during the last Thanksgiving day storm, and had a 1 year old travel trailer damaged to the tune of 7K, and finally, the columbus day storm had a tree fall on our incoming powerline, literally ripping it out the top of the house.

I generally move where the vehicles are parked based on wind direction hoping to keep them clear of any falling trees.

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I'm right next door to you all in north Idaho. It's raining so hard we've lost phone service.

12. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Our creek is full and running wild. The Nooksack is above flood stage according to the lastest news. Guess I'd better grab a camera and head over to take some pics.

Dh has been working on the new barn on his days off; the frame work is up and he had last week off. Called to get the siding/roofing delivered, and although they'd originally said it would take just a couple days turnaround, it took them all week to get it here. Now dh is back to work and no roof on the barn! I've got six sheep and a small horse crowded into the sheep shed...talk about a sight! And here I though my mustang would be tough...she's a total barn baby!

13. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Just an FYI, this site provides real-time (mostly) stream flow, and flood stage data for WA rivers. Of course if you can physically SEE the river flooding, you probably don't need a website to tell you that. ;)

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/rt

14. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I know what you mean. Sage is in her waterproof turnout rug. The tough little mustang gets all shivery in wet weather. :p

15. kesoaps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few pics from a friends place. Her lower pasture is completely under water; the slide in the middle photo is at her neighbor's place, and in the bottom pic you can see the tip of a log jam that stretches well over 100 feet. Logs and debris are everywhere...and it's still raining. No telling how much water will spill over the banks. I haven't walked back to our creek yet to see how it's doing.

16. kitty32_z8

kitty32_z8 Well-Known Member

Kesoaps- thanks for the pics. geez hope your doing ok.
    I was out on HWY 16 near Gig Harbor this morning and it was flooding. Water over the tops of my tires and I have 15's on a full size van. I dont think the little cars behind me were going to get through.

17. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

We are on a hill thank goodness. I can hear our creek roaring away but I haven't been down there. Its not likely to do much damage even if it floods. The lake is high but the homes on it are dry so far. The worst for us would be getting stuck here if the lake flooded the road, although thats only happened once in the last 30 years. I feel for the folks along the Skagit, although why people are allowed to build in places that flood all the time is beyond me.Stay safe everyone, especially those that have to get out on the roads.

18. kesoaps

I posted these pics shortly after I took them. Within an hour's time the entire bottom pasture was flooded; DD and I just got home from helping move their hay from the hay barn (which was 6 inches under water) to the top barns. Also moved the sheep from the lower pasture up above. One tends to expect some flooding living along the river, but this is due to the slash piles left by the county. We were walking in water up to our knees trying to move things before they either got wet or were swept away. And it's still raining...

19. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Well, we tried to get to Granite Falls today but the road was covered right at the bridge, turned around and headed for Arlington. Road covered about a mile beyond Jim Creek and 530 was covered at the bridge into Arlington. Stopped at Jordan Bridge (a suspension pedestrian bridge) right by our place and watched for awhile. Some guys were waiting to see if a truck that had gone in the river would come by, I was just impressed by the huge number and size of trees coming down the river. If they pile up somewhere there will be hell to pay. Saw a chunk of fence come down and a kids playset and lots of little trash. The bridge was swaying in the wind abit, but its abutments are far above the river. So we are snug at home. The road at Granite Falls might be open, maybe we'll check tomorrow.
    It certainly is a tropical front, 62 F at 4:30!

20. jennigrey

jennigrey Well-Known Member Supporter

Our power has been out intermittently today. We live up on a hill so we are safe (I'll ditto the rants about people building in floodpaths, bluffs, etc.) but I do have to drive a few iffy roads to get in and out of here. Down closer to the river, one of my neighbors had a corn maze and a pumpkin patch. His fields are under water and the leftover pumpkins are bobbing and drifting in bizarre orange flotillas. All the thousands of crows were force out of the corn feild by the rising water and now they are standing sulkily across the road, blackening the pastures. Went down and watched the huge trees zoom by in the river. It's pretty awesome, in the original sense of the word.