Bats need to go

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MN Mom, May 12, 2006.

1. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

I think I have found where the bats are getting in now what do I put over the opening?

If I nail a open toed sock over it will they chew through it to get back in?
    Have heard to make a wire mesh funnel over the opening. What kind should I use? Have been told they can climb through a 1/4 slot.

They can have one of the barns but I get the house.

Jon

2. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

Before you do anything you should contact the local animal control or Fish and Game office. I think it might be a federal offense to disturb a bat habitat.

3. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

. MNMom.

You know a sock won't work. Try some steel wool. steel wool works great with rats .
    Not too nice to chew on. I would also let off some bug bombs if possible in the area.
    Keep that area smelling bad and they do carry some lice I've heard so to be safe.
    They are sensetive to smells. So after the bug Bomb. Throw a bunch of moth balls in there and spray regular bug spray often. Keep checking on the steel wool. But it should do the trick. They might slide it over once by chewing it a little, but as soon as they start dieing with metal flakes in thier belly's they'll get the message.

To heck with the law. No animal has a right to make its habitat in your home.
    Uninvited that is.

4. deb

deb Well-Known Member

The University od Wisconsin Extension office is a wonderful source of information. Here's one article:

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/house/dynamic/subdetails.cfm?topicid=383&name=Keeping Bats Out of the House

"How can bats be kept out of a house?

Bats are huge consumers of flying insects, so trapping or excluding them from a home is preferable to killing them. The trick is to seal the openings the bats use to enter the home. A fine mesh can temporarily seal openings. Bats can move through a space with a width of three-eighths of an inch. You can locate entrance areas by watching where bats exit the building at dark. You can confirm locations if you see a brown staining around these exits.

Once bats leave at night, seal the cracks with caulking, steel wool, flashing, wood or cement. Once a hole is sealed, bats won't chew or pry it open again. If you are concerned that you might be trapping bats inside by sealing the opening, use fine wire mesh as a one-way exclusion system. Fasten the mesh to the structure around the bat entrance at the top and on the sides, leaving the bottom open. Bats can crawl out, but won't find their way back in."

Another article:
    http://www.uwex.edu/news/2000/10/bats-get-bad-rap-with-misunderstood-reputation...

Deb
    in wi

5. Nancy in Maine

Nancy in Maine Well-Known Member

Well, one of the older homes in our town has been bat-proofed. So there should be a colony of bats looking for a new home this season. I made a bat house and hung it in my back yard.

I've heard to wait until the bats leave for the night so you don't trap any inside the house, then seal the entry hole with some screening. But don't do this during their "nesting season" or you'll trap their babies inside.

Yes, they can get in through the tiniest hole! Last year we put the last section of cedar shingles on the house. A bat had been living in a flap of tar paper. We put the air conditioner back in the window when the project was done. 2 weeks later I had a bat flying around that room! How that bat got in by that air conditioner, I can't imagine. There was a tiny space, but the mosquitos didn't even bother to try that. :shrug:

I hope I have lots and lots of bats in the home I made for them.

6. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Id rather disturb a bat habitat than have one of my children die from rabies, just from sleeping in his own room and having a rabid bat fly in and bite him, like happened in Texas :(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060513/ts_nm/life_rabies_dc_2

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

With an old 2 story farm house on top of a hill, working at night on the roof is _not_ really a sound plan....... I wonder what the enviro people really are thinking when they come up with such ideas?

--->Paul

8. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

My family had a bat problem big-time. Must have been a couple hundred living in the attic when we moved in. We just waited until we saw them all leave one night and banged on the ceilings to get the stragglers out. Then when we didn't hear any more up there we filled the two holes they were entering the attic through with Foam O Fill. Don't know where they ended up going, but my parents haven't had any more problems in the last 7 years.

9. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

The most common bat is a Small Brown Bat. The female will have one baby each year, and it will stay put until after July. If you close openings now, you'll trap and kill the baby and possibly mom too.

Bats don't gnaw. A sock might work fine for a one way exit. It only has to function for one night, if you are prompt about getting up the ladder and closing the entry. Be aware that closing one entry will encourage them to seek another. So close the other entry points before you put up the one way exit. One problem with materials that you wedge into gaps is they tend work loose. A piece of molding or trim works better.

It is easier to do the repairs in the fall after the bats leave.

The recent news story of a death caused by a bat bite is extremely rare. I don't recall another such story. It is a good idea to evict them, but it isn't life threatening. You are at greater risk driving to the store.

10. MN Mom

MN Mom Well-Known Member

Gobug,

I have been doing some searches about bats since we discovered that is probably what is in the attic...everywhere I've looked has said that, "Births are usually in late June and early July". So wouldn't that mean the Mama bats are pregnant right now, and the babies wouldn't be a concern until June? Seems to me if that is true, and that is what I found on each internet search I looked up, then now would be the ideal time to get them out of there so they can find a new place before their baby is born... :shrug: Sara

11. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I was under the impression the baby was born shortly after their spring arrival, and the baby bat isn't able to fly until mid-july. My text books are packed and unavailable, so I suggest you look for a bat expert in your locale. You might try the Division of Wildlife, or Animal Control listings. They could be more reliable than internet information.