Bathtub soap scum

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by uncleotis, May 13, 2005.

1. uncleotis

uncleotis Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with this problem I have. We use our own goats milk soap. In the tub it leaves a scum and no matter what type of tub cleaner I use it only leaves the sponge/scrubber I use slimy. Does anyone have a really good product they either buy or make up themselves? I'd sure appriciate the help.

Thanks in advance
    uncleotis

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

All SOAP will leave a scum unless you have soft soft water, and maybe even then. Detergents do not. No doubt one of the reasons that bath gels and so on have become so popular.

Try using baking soda as a scouring agent if you are against things like Ajax to clean the tub.

The only other thing I can recommend is not using the home made soap. (BTW, I have been making it myself for years.) I just recently read that the same soap that scums up your tub is still riding on your skin too, and that detergent based cleansers actually rinse more thoroughly. Made sense actually. If it sticks to something as slick and smooth as a tub surface, I'm sure it sticks to skin too. However, making your own soap makes you more self sufficient.

3. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Add using one of those plastic kitchen scrubbie things to the baking soda and you should have an easier time of cleaning your tub. Or if you can find a stiff version of the personal scrubbers they work well and are easy to rinse clean, and wash up in the washing machine. I bought some one time that were painful to use, but are STILL cleaning my tubs and sinks three years later!

hollym

4. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Ditto the baking soda- that and elbow grease.

5. Skittles2u

Skittles2u Well-Known Member

I found "Kaboom" works great. Lowes carries it and has a good price on it. You can search for it online

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

When baking soda isn't strong enough I use straight borax. Just sprinkle it on the wet tub and let it set a while. I use a long handled floor scrubber to clean the tub. Saves my back.

7. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I use X-14 soap scum remover. Spray it on a dry surface, let it sit a few minutes (maybe 10).....Then rub off with a dry cloth....Works for me...

8. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

We have very hard water and I hate the build up it gets on the shower head. I use CLR in a squirtbottle and just spray it on the showerhead and it bubbles and in a matter of minutes the with hard water is gone. But when I look down at the tub everywhere it had driped is super white and clean. It removes tub scum almost without scrubing

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member

use one of those Mr. Clean eraser sponges -

or I would also suggest using glycerine soap - doesn't leave scum

10. deb

deb Well-Known Member

We use vinegar in a spray bottle and mist down the tub/shower after we're done. Sometimes I rinse it off and sometimes I forget. This minimizes the build up. DH is the offical bathtub cleaner and once again he uses just vinegar and a scrubby pad, then rinses.

As for detergents rinsing off your body "better", yes, that is true, but when you rinse off the detergent, you're also rinsing off all of your body's oil as well. I'm sticking with my homemade soap

deb
    in wi