Bathtub brawl

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan Doling, May 27, 2004.

1. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My little darlings decided to use the upstairs bathtub as a pool during :rolleyes: yesterday's 92 degree heatwave. One of them (each blames the other, of course) broke the tub spout off.

It has a jagged piece of pvc pipe extending about 3 inches behind the spout. We have a fiberglass tub/shower surround about 66 inches tall. Behind it is a narrow linen closet facing the hall.

So I suppose it would be best to cut a porthole thru the dry wall from the linen closet and replace the broken pvc pipe from there...I may have to use a mirror to inspect it all (now I know what a tough job gynecologists have!). Any suggestions?

2. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm guessing the spout included the plastic pipe that broke off. You need to get a tool to get a grip on that broken pipe and twist it out. It's probably threaded on the end that goes into the plumbing. A pair of needle nose pliers may work. I don't think demolition is needed. Once you remove the plastic nipple, you can put a new spout in.
    GObug

3. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    PVC generally is not threaded but if it is you're in luck. Normally it is glued. If you do end up having to come through the closet, and you plan on staying in that house for a while I strongly suggest replacing the pipe coming through the wall for the spout with something other than PVC. Copper or galvanized steel are much stronger. PVC in that application is a bad idea IMO.

Good Luck,

Michael

4. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    I have a question. Where did the break occur in relationship to the shower wall? Is it on the shower side or is the break within the wall? If it is on the shower side then all you need to do is saw off the jagged end so that it is round again. Then you can cement (glue) a coupling onto the newly rounded end and cut a new piece of PVC to the proper length so that the spout is flush with the wall and cement it onto the other end of the coupler.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

PVC is so much easier to deal with than copper or iron pipe. Depending on where the break is, you may have to cut the pipe & glue in a new coupler & a new spout. Some PVC fittings are threaded. If you have threaded fittings, don't forget to use teflon tape on the threads. Happy plumbing! And maybe you should make the water wrestlers help fix the problem, or at least watch.

6. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Great ideas...thanks. Of course it broke off behind the shower surround where it can't be seen. Have they ever done things the easy way? But now I think I can figure it out....but I won't fix it for a few days....cold hose showers are the best punishment! I will make them watch me fix it...they may learn a whole new vocabulary, but they may also learn other new skills. Thank you all.