Bathroom flooring

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Brandi in VA, May 26, 2005.

1. Brandi in VA

Brandi in VA Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this so here's better then nowhere right.

I'm putting down new flooring in the bathroom. I ripped up the old only to see that around the tub is mildew. It's only really bad in one spot where the floor is so wet it's mushy, for lack of a better term. Here's my issue. Do I take the tub out and put down new flooring or just let the floor dry out and add the tiles over top of it?

Thanks in advance,

Brandi

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

can you get under the house to see if the floor is rotted

3. Brandi in VA

Not today but should be dry enough to go under in a few days or so. With all the rain we had I would get under and end up stuck or have to swim my way out. :haha:

So guess I should wait till it's dry enough to get under the house and check? Is there something I can clean this up with on this side of the floor so the kids don't have to walk on it?

Can ya tell I've never had an issue with mold before? lol

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

water and blech will kill the mold

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

use a scrub brush

6. dave85

dave85 dave85

usually. You're gonna have to remove the wet, "mushy" area. I'm assuming you have particle board or plywood over the sub-flooring. Take a screwdriver, after you scrape out the bad stuff, and probe around. You will develop a feel for what is solid or not. Now, if one or 2 boards are rotten under the tub, you might be able to replace them from underneath. for now, try to get a scrap of carpet to lay down. also, you'll have to determine where the water came from.

If you have rot in the sub floor,(usually 2x6 or 2x8) if the board is solid wood 3/4 of the way, then dry it good and fill with wood filler. the integrity of the board should still be good.

Replacing the tiles is another step.

Good luck,
    Dave

7. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

We had something similar in the kids bathroom, only it was around the toilet... had to remove a good portion of floor and put in new plywood... Now I have to "float" it out and make it level so I can put on new flooring... but still in a debate over what kind to put down... I love the expensive stuff, DH loves the cheap stuff :rolleyes: A battle of the wills!!!

Kids can get a bathroom wet to the core, just taking a bath!

8. Brandi in VA

Thanks for the responses. Pappy, who's a plumber, finally returned my call, came over and said the board was just fine. It's where the kids and that DH (that's not a dear this time) don't shut the shower curtain all the way and the water leaks onto the floor. Add to that the tile was pulling up for about year now and you can see why is was nasty. Anyways, scrapped off the nasty stuff and under was good boards so patched it with some goop crap Pappy brought over, laid new tiles and cleaned up my mess. Gotta love the manic phases. :haha:

Thanks agian for the help.