Bat questions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kathy in MD, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Does anyone know of a good link or forum where you can ask questions about bat behavior?

I will also post my questions here because you guys are so helpful:

1. Do bats need to drop down to fly?
    2. Are they attracted to and will they use hummingbird feeders?
    3. Will they try to get in the house at night because the house is lit up?
    4. When one is in the house – Do you open doors and windows turn lights on or off in the house and turn lights on or off on outside porch?

I know bats are helpful and will not harm you, but I do not like them in my house. I fell asleep on the sofa the other night. I must have been half asleep when I felt a slight rustle in my hair. There was Mr. Bat flying around. I went upstairs to wake my husband and then hide in the bathroom. Mr. Bat followed me upstairs and went into the bathroom before me. It took my Hero DH about a half hour to get him out while I was hiding in the basement.

2. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

1. No
    2. Never seen it happen
    3. No
    4. Neither

Put screens on your windows and doors to keep bugs out. That is why the bats are coming in- they are preying on bugs.

MI dos centavos

mc

3. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I would have to aggree with mousecat33. The bat almost certainly followed insects indoors, & the insects were attracted by the lights. Screens would seem to be the most simple way to solve this problem.I've never heard of bats trying to get into an occupied house, but they will try to take up residence in abandoned or unused buildings.

4. Sue C

Sue C Member

Hi Kathy, I love bats!!

They do not need to drop to fly and it indeed is movement that attracts the little fuzzy critters. Very few good books on them but Dr Brock Fenton of York University is a major author on their behavoiur, likes and dislikes, not just a fieldguide. This is really strange timing, I just emailed him this morning on an update of a rare bat I found in distress a while ago and he took care of it. His email is bfenton@yorku.ca . If you happen to know what kind of bat it was it might be helpfull, some like groups in caves others the open and solitary, different behaviour patterns and different responses. Though indicating your area might narrow it down as to species tending to enjoy your neck of the woods.

Sue

5. I used to be a sweep an evicted many bats from chimnies, put some hardwarecloth or a cap on top.

6. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

We used to live in an old 2 story house. Never did figure how the bats got in--sure weren't coming in through the windows. Seemed to be some passage from the attic through our bedroom closet, but we never found it. We just shut the BR door, opened the window screens, and waved towels at them. usually worked, although sometimes had to drop a bathrobe over them like a net and then evict them. Harmless little things. Brought some delight and excitement couple times a year.

7. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can gently knock them to the floor and throw a towel over them, it's easy to take them outside and leave them loose.

8. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for all the replies. Windows and doors are screened. Chimnnies are capped.
    Sue, thanks for Dr. Fenton's name. I will look on EBay for one of his books. The local library had very little reading subjects on bats.

This is only the second time in two years we had a bat visit, considering I live in the middle of a heavily wooded area I think thats pretty good. I just HATE bats in the house!!!!!!

9. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Years ago I dated a man who was known nationally for his trapping but, in later years specialized in bat proofing houses. He is passed on but, what I learned while dating him....bat can be a real problem and usually they get in through a crack or somewhere under a roof shingle. A bat can get through a space as thin as a paper matchbook. He went through silicone caulk like nobodies business!! They would figureout where they were getting in and then put netting over it around dark. The next day they would caulk. Bats can be highly beneficial but, in attics they can relieve theirselves which can cause a lot of health problems for human beings depending on the number of bat inhabitants in the attic.

10. Sue C

Sue C Member

Bat Conservation International located in Texas, of course, has a great site www.batcon.org with books, hand held locators, t-shirts.... and staff contact information. Great research in Texas on bats.

Sue

11. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a number that live in our attic. Not a big issue for me. They are clean, keep any bugs out of the attic and dont make a big mess. I usually find them around christmas time when I get decorations out. They are hiding under some box. Its cold in the attic by that time and they are hibernating and dont move you can pick them up (gloves of course) and move them to an out of the way place. Found a record 8 bats last year in the attic.