Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Tell us more. What will you be using it for? How much? What size? A lot of us here have portable mills. And a lot of us here travel. The more info the better the chance we could help you.

Wade

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have about 1500 board feet of 1 1/4 1 inch and some 1/2 inch it has been surfaced on 2 sides and skip planed on the other side was originally sawn for beehives $2 per board foot located in crawfordsville Indiana can meet in hopkinsville Kentucky during deer season

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will probably resaw to half inch or close,maximum of 8" wide,maximum 6-8' long.Want to make fur stretchers,not enough profit margin for anything like 2.00/foot.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Will probably resaw to half inch or close,maximum of 8" wide,maximum 6-8' long.Want to make fur stretchers,not enough profit margin for anything like 2.00/foot.

Take a look at this link. Personally I think cedar would make better boards and command a higher price. NAFA Is the largest buyer in the country. All boards should be made to their specs. to get the best prices for fur.

Wade

http://www.nafa.ca/trapper/Resources/NAFA_PeltHandlingManual_2009.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have nafa patterns..basswood is the main wood used for stretchers,I don't know why.Cedar is a little harder and prone to split..I can't imagine pushing pins into cedar boards for very long at a time.I can split out enough cedar to make a couple mink boards and find out for myself how hard the pushpins are to use.ETA On second thought,it wouldn't make much difference what size the basswood was,I could use the thicker stuff for carving.Buckeye would be good,too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts