Bass fishing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by albionjessica, Sep 5, 2006.

1. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

When is the best time of year to go bass fishing, and what time of day/type of weather should one try to go fishing?

Also, what types of lures are the best for bass?

We just found out that we have the 3rd best bass fishing lake in IN a 10 minute drive away, and we're so thrilled! But we didn't want to waste time trying to fish now if the season is through or weather isn't right.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Spring is the best time,but any time of year can be good.I like Spinners and Buzzbaits,but Rubber Baits and Plugs work good.

big rockpile

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

With fall coming on they should be feeding pretty good. I like rubber worms in the fall. You might like to post in the hunting fishing section and see what some of those boys think.

4. Just to let you know we have a new forum called THE GREAT OUTDOORS that you can post any questions about hunting, fishing, or whatever has to do with the outdoor adventures.

Other then that, I like to use top water baits such as heddon torpedos, or poppers.

5. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

lets see if i can get this right. spring bassen before the first full moon when the water reaches 50 degrees. this should be pree spawn the fish attack just about any thing they consider a threat.

winter bassen is very slow fish are even slower but Your chance of the big boys are at its best. trophy time.

summer any time when the mood strikes you rain or shine, i find it best when the sun goes behind the clouds as the weather changes or a front is comming in. i was a live bait fan for many years but for the last 12 years i have went to rubber grubs and worms. I catch bass, pike, blue gills, perch,crappi, and even cats on 1" grubs and a 16 to 8 oz jig head hook dont really matter . one more thing crappi baits will get you a strike from fish every cast get the little white ones that look like marshmellows. but most of all have fun fishing is really a skill but luck all so plays in to it.

6. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

any nice day is a good day for bass fishing
    lately around here a good top water jerk bait has been doing great .
    I know guys that swear by spiner baits I havent had as much luck with them .
    I always carry a few simple lures
    a Zara spook Puppy (1/4 oz) rainbow color
    a pack of yumm craws natural fished same as below
    apack of skattering shad ( soft jerk bait ) Fished on a 5/0 hook weightless
    couple of beetle spins yellow green and orange
    a rebel bug
    hula popper
    and a medium crank bait .
    A good mitchel openface spinning real on a medium rod strung with 6/20 or 6/30 spiderwire braid.
    prefer days just before a storm when the pressure is high , either early morning or late afternoon for the best luck.Remeber if the bass arent biting the blue gill most likely will. Ive even caught channel on top waters while bass fishing.
    r

7. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

Our biggest Smallmouth Bass (caught by dh) was 4 1/2 pounds mine was 4 pounds, caught last fall about end of Sept. in 20ft. deep very clear water, on a dock. Everyone else always seems to cast away from docks, but bass really like the covering, we used a pinch on weight about the size of a marble placed about a 1 1/2 feet above a hook and nightcrawler, dropped it on one side of the dock, let the current take it under the dock and Whammo! everyday for 3 weeks we caught smallmouth bass. Of course some we very small but on average they were 2-3 pounders. This is at Lake Chelan in WA. the temp. was 60-70 degrees or so, just cool enough for the bass to back into to warmer, shallow water.Haven't found anything that works better yet, tried the plastic frogs and other top water baits....nothing, tried rubber worms with and without scent....not much. They are however an Excellent fight to bring in, very exciting, very tasty, we kept our one biggest and that was it for last year, made a nice meal for us that night. we are 98% of the time catch and release but we take lots of pics of them too. BTW if you feel a hit, we have discovered that if you try to "set the hook" it scares them, be patient wait for them to hit it like a 9lb hammer, which they will unlike trout that test your bait a few times before hitting it. Good Luck!

8. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

9. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I second Willy. Plastic worms now with falling temperatures but late spring/early summer where you are when they spawn is the best. You can tell when they are spawning because you'll be able to walk around the edge of the lake and see them close to the bank sitting very still on their nests.