Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have a unique situation.

We have a 5’ x 5’ space behind the furnace. The previous owner put a door in the study that leads to this space but it’s unfinished. We want to finish it for a closet to store totes and such.

The issue is that 3 sides are walls and we need to install one wall to separate the space from the furnace.

This wall will be 5ft wide and 7ft tall. The building of the wall is not the issue, it’s that there is no ceiling per say because of the furnace ducting. The ducting is both rectangular and round ducting and we have no access to any joists up above.

Is there a way to secure the wall from the top? I can hit the studs in the side walls and nail to the floor. We intend to put small shelves on the wall to hold items.

Thanks!

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
5' is short enough span that if you double plate the top you won't need to attach at the top.

Reactions: Nimrod

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
This wall will be 5ft wide and 7ft tall.
I can hit the studs in the side walls and nail to the floor. We intend to put small shelves on the wall to hold items.

Thanks!
I agree, you don't have to secure it at the top if you nail the sides and to the floor, just don't store cannon balls on those shelves.
:D

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,902 Posts
If you're concerned it might move you can also add 'L" brackets in the corners to tie to the existing walls.

·
Banned
16,491 Posts
Yep, some angle iron would work good to tie it in or even better, 2x4's nailed on either side front and back, plumb and against the studs of the new wall.
That way it can't tilt at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts