Basement Toilet vent problem??

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by DMoniot, Mar 14, 2005.

1. DMoniot

DMoniot New Member

Folks,

I recently installed a basement toilet on stub-ups that were provide by the builder years earlier. The stub up I choose to use for the toilet is a 4" PVC pipe with an apparant trap in the line about 3-4' below the floor level. When I installed the closet flange and flushed, I had a slow flush which leads me to believe that I have a vent problem.

Question 1: Can I simply add a mechanical studor vent to the toilet line?

Question 2: Is there any problem with flushing down into a sewer line with a trap in it? and will the mechanical vent work?

2. retire2$

retire2$ Well-Known Member

DMonit,

Some suggestions and thoughts:

I would snake the toilet first.

Next I would fill a large opened mouth bucket (3-4 gal.) and dump it down the toilet. This should empty the bowl of the toilet very quickly.

If toilet is still sluggish I would remove the toilet and snake the line to see if there was a clog.

Don't think there would be a trap in the line going to your septic or municipal sewer. Most stub-outs are brought up to height for sink, vanity, etc. and then the trap is placed near the fixture. Trap is not needed for a toilet since the toilet has the trap built into it.

If the basement was roughed in during construction and was inspected by the plumbing inspector your vent (waste) pipes are probably adequate.

Please keep us informed.

3. backtobasics

backtobasics Member

I agree, there should not be a trap under the floor if this pipe was intended for a future toilet. Studor vents are illegal in most area's(check with the inspector)
    Fixtures need to be within 3ft. of a vent. You should be able to tell if the line is vented. I've seen cases where the building contractor installed lines during the beginning stages of construction instead of having a plumber do this.

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

just a thought it could be a bad pitch in the line and there is such a thing as a trap under the ground its called a house trap however i dont think many people put them in anymore