basement flooding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SherryR, Oct 9, 2005.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

due to heavy onslaught of rains, our basement is flooding. I dont mean like N.O., but a few inches, anyway. Aside from putting everything up off floor, mopping, wringing, emptying, does anyone have any better suggestions? It's Sunday, so there's no business open to call, and I'm not even sure who to call. Hub went to hardware store to see if there was some kind of something to rent to help suck the water uot.. We thought of sump pump but dont have a sump hole or whatever it is. Lived here a year and half, and hasn't happend before. In winter we got 7 feet of snow, which didn't melt till spring, and even then there was a small amount of water in basement that we could handle.

Any helpful suggestionss?
    thanks,
    Sherry

2. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

If you've got a wet/dry shop vac - that's what we used a few years back when our water pipe sprung a leak and we came home to 6 inches of water in the basement.

3. roadrash

roadrash Well-Known Member

Bust a hole in the floor for a sump pump,Its going to be a recurring problem!

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Wet/dry shop vac for the immediate problem.
    Long term - sump pump is one answer, however, if possible it is best to divert the water from coming into the basement in the first place and that involves landscaping to divert the water and/or footer drains and sealing or resealing the exterior of the foundation/basement wall.

5. Texas Red

Texas Red Member

One of the most important things that you can do to stop future flooding is to make sure your lawn is sloped away from the house. If you have gutters on the house make sure that the downspots move the water well away from the house. You can add dirt near the foundation to make sure that water moves away from the basement walls. A wet dry shop vac will move a lot of water, but you have to dump it somewhere every few gallons, so renting a small sump pump would be the best way to start. Attach a garden hose to the pump and pump as much of the water out of the basementas you can before you finish up with the vac. Use this occasion to find the lowest spot in the basement floor where you could install a sump pump pit for future problems.

6. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

thank you all for your suggestions; I too thought of a shop vac, hub returned with a submersible pump--the absolute last one on the shelf (had to buy it, as he was preparing to rent the last one, a lady came in who had 2 FEET of water in her basement, so he let her rent it, and lucked out finding the last one to purchase)

Part of reason for flooding ( looked at gutter on that side of house) was that oldest child had been playing badminton & knocked the 'birdie' into the gutter, where it clogged the downspout. Didn't look at first because was recently cleaned. Ah, the joys of homeownership!
    seems to be working, we opened a basement window & (previous owners had screwed it shut!) put the hose out it, and turned on pump. Still plenty to mop I'm sure, but, majority will go out I hope.
    thank you again.

Sherry