Basement Dimensions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Randy Dandy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Randy Dandy

Randy Dandy Well-Known Member

We are thinking of building a basement house (so to speak). My question is there anyone that knows what the best size would be for the basements "inside dimensions" so there would be very little waist and/or cutting of 2 X 4's ?
    Example : 28' X 40' ? Is there some kind of rule of thumb to go by ? I hope my question makes sense :confused:

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your floor and flooring joist lengths will have a bigger impact on the basement dimension. Since these are large 2 X 10" or 2 x 12" and the length has a restriction you will want to determine where you get the best value. Additionally you will want the plywood (notice I did not say OSB) to work with little or no waste as it is expensive. Typically a width of 32 feet or under on the outside and whatever length home you desire, built as a rectangle, will be the most conservatively priced home.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Are you building a house with a basement or are you building a berm house?

4. Randy Dandy

Thanks agmantoo. It was planned to be rectangular.
    I guess a person could call it a basement house. It would have a concrete slab for the floor.
    Thats why I was thinking of 28' for a width because it came out even when divided by 4' Does that make sense ?
    Since a 2 X 4 is actually only 3 1/2" then I guess I would be safe with the inside width to be very close to 28' so there would be little waist with the drywall and 2 x 4's ???
    Thanks, Randy

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I would keepo the outside Dims at 4' intervals. OSB and siding are more expensive that drywall.

6. Randy Dandy

Thanks wy_white_wolf.
    Sorry but I didn't take the time to tell anyone that this project was to be constructed of concrete block (cinder block).
    I don't know very much about building or construction but I don't think we'll be using any plywood or OSB except for possibly roof decking and since we was thinking of a metal roof then I'm not too sure that we'll use it there either.
    I did a lot more google search last night and couldn't find any more info on my question.
    I think as long as we keep the inside dimensions just under any measurement that is a whole number divided by 4 then we'll be alright but thats why I'm asking is because the truth is I don't know what I'm doing half the time. The other half I'm confused.

7. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

Will you be useing trusses for the roof? If so you would want your outside dimensions on the width of the outside walls at some 2 foot increment.

8. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Might want to get some good books on framing before you start. Also, if you don't want your metal roof to leak or have condensation dripping into your insulation, you might want to do a plywood roof deck covered with builder's felt then put on the metal.

9. Randy Dandy

Thanks coydog. Yes We'll be using roof trusses. I will keep the 2' increments in mind.
    Thanks Cyngbaeld. Someone else told me the same thing you did about the metal roof.
    I'm going to talk to a contractor tomorrow. The more I think about trying this project on my own then the more I'm discouraged.
    Thanks again.