Homesteading Forum banner

Base Material for Slab

957 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kroll 
#1 ·
I know that this may be hard question to answer due to a person pole barn build location,but I thought I would describe best I can and maybe someone may have good answer. My place is located in East Tx which is what area is called and its near a lake in subdivision that is kinda hilly. But only by few feet,or lets say its not flat which is why while back asking about French Drains. Anyway land is more sandy but dang its kinda hard as rock but there are no rocks,so once I start digging for poles it should be easy except for roots. Since I will need to hall in some fill to raise up the low side and maybe get it few inchs above the high side I was wondering what kind of gravel,dirt, sand, do I need to haul in to put a slab on top of? I read someplace where a guys haul in 60/40 mix but never did say what kind of mix. So I will need to pack it down and get it level but what do I need to bring in for a slab that will be consider a floating slab? Thanks

#2 ·
I built my pole barn on the side of a hill-- excavated the high side and used some of that to fill in the low side to raise & flatten it. Excavated extra on the high side to provide a drainage ditch to direct run-off from the hill around the barn. No need to pay for hauling in fill....Just had a 10 in rainfall over 24 hrs and no problems.

#3 ·
Literally any type of material can be used for fll under a slab so long as it's not organic, and you are able to work with it and compact it.
Around these parts we typically import, crushed stone, gravel or sand. It's also not uncommon to utilize good old clay if conditions are right, cutting it off the high spots and filling in the low spots.
It all works.

My first choice would be crushed limestone as it it easy to rake and shovel to accurately grade, it compacts very well, and it doesn't deteriorate badly if it gets wet prior to pouring the slab.

#5 ·
I find this very unlikely.
Fly ash is very fine almost powder type material that would not likely compact very well on it's own. It is often used as an admixture in ready mix concrete to help it flow better.
I suppose it could be mixed with other aggregate and used for fill, but doesn't sound like a good idea by itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.