Barrows

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Jena, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

How big will a barrow get?

I'm thinking somewhere between a boar and a sow in size, but I don't know. He is not going to slaughter. He's just a pet.

I know how big our sows and boars get, but I don't know about a barrow.

Thanks

Jena

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It depends on what breed he is. Most common breeds would get up to the 800lb neighborhood. I've seen boars at the state fair that topped 1000 lb. If he is feed a limited diet, and not allowed to get tubby he wouldn't get so heavy.

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    He is just like a steer, he will get as big as his genetics dictate. He will probably be bigger than your breeding stock because he will reach a greater age and a chance to reach full maturity.The down side is when he is grown imagine a mini bulldozer :eek:
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I suppose I ought to cut out the cinnamon rolls I feed him huh? :)

He's homegrown, so I know how big the sow and boar are. I don't know what they weigh, but they are not huge. I'll hope for that.

Thanks

Jena

5. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

How old are your sows and boar? if they aren't at least 4 they are still growing. The problem we always had when raising hogs was first the boars would get too big and heavy to be allowed to breed young or thin sows. Have had sows get back and hip injuries from too big boars. People tend to feed breeding stock to heavy and they get too big and fat to be good mothers and breeding boars. Most of our breeders went to slaughter after they topped 500 lb. 3 or 4 litters was all most of them had had. Put two posts 12 inches apart. when the sows can't go between them they are getting too fat.