Barnyard the movie

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Wendy, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen this?? Overall it was a good movie, my kids loved it. One thing really bugged me through the whole thing though. All of the bulls had udders! Huge pink udders on every animal that was supposed to be a bull. Now I can see them not wanting to put the proper male pieces in place, but then why not just leave them with nothing? Stuff like that really bugs me because kids watching this think that is what a bull looks like. My kids right away pointed out that bulls do not have udders! So now there are even more mis-informed kids that think bulls have udders. I know it is a cartoon, but they could at least draw the animals the way they should be.

2. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    someone at work mentioned the movie. So the first thing I said was "You KNOW BULLS DON"T have udders, right????"

She did not know. She just figured since men have nipples, bulls have udders....

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Well......We sold 6 weaned bottle steers to some Russians just recently come to the States. They were a little hard to communicate, with some of them speaking passable English, and some none at all. They were very pleased and we threw in delivery since they bought them all. We delivered the steers, they divided them up among four households and everyone left satisfied. We got a call from one of the buyers a day later. He said we had to come get one of his steers and give his money back. He was trying to explain to me in broken English that one of his steeers(he had two), wasn't a "girl or a boy...It was BOTH!" And so he "COULD NOT EAT IT". I asked him how he knew it was "both"?? He finally got across to me that it peed from its middle but it also had teats! Thus it wasn't a girl or a boy, but both and he couldn't eat it. I explained to him that *every* male mammal has teats.....they just don't usually lactate, and that his steer was perfectly normal(I thought about asking him if he had "teats", but thought that might not go over to well :angel: ). He didn't believe me, but finally his neighbor who was more animal saavy than he, declared that he would buy the "both" steer from him and *his* family would eat it. The first buyer was satisfied with that. I got a really good chuckle out of that experience. :)

4. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Good movie though. I loved the hen house and the barn parties!

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

ROTFL! My kids would have noticed too, Wendy. No way would they have let that slide.

Emily, that is the funniest thing I've heard in awhile, lol.

Reminds me of my friend who told me she took pictures of the cows at the 'dairy' near her home. She raved about how beautiful they were, and how cute, and friendly, etc. I looked at her and said, 'What cows? That's no dairy - that's a feed lot!' She didn't believe me until I asked her how many of those 'cows' had udders? When she realized the answer was NONE, she was horrified. The poor dear, all her new 'friends' were destined for hamburger.

Niki

6. Janis Sauncy

Janis Sauncy Well-Known Member

I haven't thought about my own experience, as a little girl, with confusing the sexes of animals but this thread did remind me of it (I'm almost too embarressed to tell it; just remember, I was a VERY little girl at the time).

A friend and I were walking near our homes. We lived on the edge of town and were surrounded by small farms, etc. We saw a couple of horses in a pasture; one of the horses had this "thing" hanging from its "stomach." We thought it was a baby horse's hoof (the shape was the same, or so we thought)and so we decided it was a momma horse in the process of having a baby. We waited for the rest of the baby horse to come out but got tired of waiting and decided to come back later. Of course, when we came back, there was no baby horse. Just a couple of horses contentedly grazing. Some time later, when I became more familiar with horses and their habits, I realized that "momma" horse was obviously a boy (most likely a gelding) just "hanging out," as they tend to do.

7. Christine in OK

Christine in OK Well-Known Member Supporter

We rented that movie awhile back, and two minutes into it I announced to Lance "I already have a problem with this movie!" - he said "I do too". I asked "Is it the same problem?" He said "yep!"

How ridiculous.

8. DonnaKay

DonnaKay Well-Known Member

That drove me crazy too. I never figured out why they did it.....

Donna

9. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I did some searching & all I came up with was that the people that made the movie thought it would be funny for the bulls to have udders. I know, I know, it's only a kid movie, but am I the only one that didn't find it funny? All they are doing is confusing kids. There are already too many kids that have no idea what the difference is between a cow & a bull. Too many kids that have no idea where their food comes from. Too many that think you must have a rooster before a chicken will lay an egg. I could go on & on. I just wish they would portray things as close to possible when it comes to these kinds of things. No wonder some kids don't have a clue!

10. WendyW.

WendyW. Well-Known Member

It drove me crazy too but my kids love the movie. I guess you just have to think of the type of people who make these movies. I mean, they know how to make movies but how much do they really know about those types of animals, kwim?
    I think they should have just left them "blank" too.

11. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

It was a movie with a nice moral. But, I hated the fact the bulls were made to look like cows. But, movies often get things mixed up I notice especially with horses==the lingo and day to day activities that is.

12. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Even for a kids movie I personally didn't think that much of it.

Some of the kids movies we'll watch over and over again like "Dumbo" or "Little Mermaid"

But "Barnyard" wasn't that good and I hated that the bulls had udders.

13. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

Its a Cartoon for Pete's sake. Give me a break....

14. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

I loved it.. I noticed the udders too.. the barn parties were funny.. especially the thing in the wooden box..lol :baby04:

15. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I guess you don't care that kids are growing up not knowing the difference between cows & bulls, roosters & hens, etc.. I know it was a cartoon, but it's teaching kids the wrong thing. Many of them do not know the difference in the first place & this just reinforces the wrong things. How hard would it have been for them to leave the udders off the bulls?

As far as the plot & such, I loved it. The barn parties were cool & I loved the boy tipping. :D

16. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

LOL did anyone notice the cows talked? seems like a bit bigger detail than udder mismanagement......

17. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Found the 'bull udders' a little disturbing, particularly the one who had Sam Elliots voice, now that just wasn't right!! It was amusing, the Man and the Boy liked it, Chicken Little was a hoot too, if you've never seen it check it out. My personal fav is Wallace and Gromit and the WereRabbit

18. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Hey, back before Christmas, K-Mart had some light up animals in their folder - reindeer, seal, etc. And one called "Claude the Cow." Claude?

19. heritagefarmer

heritagefarmer Belties are Best!

But all the bulls had top teeth too!
    None of my girls have top teeth, do yours?
    I was watching it on a flight and actually switched off, deciding I wasn't interested enough to hang in and find out what happened.
    Glad I didn't go all the way to town to see it!