Barnyard question on Goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Wannabee, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Foggy Dew Farms

One more question if you don't mind:

We have a nice area in the pole barn - 12' x 32' that we are planning on using for our goat herd when we get one. (Herd meaning 2-3). We also have a nice sized run for them outside. Question: Do goats need to come and go at will, from barn to barnyard, or can I let them out in the morning, and back in again in the evening. Or if the weather is bad can they stay indoors 100% of the time?

Once again - I want to get all the details in order before we get them...

Thanks!

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I have found that they PREFER to stay indoors in bad weather. 12 X 32 is a nice size building. I would think they would be more than comfortable in there all day during wet weather.

3. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

My goats prefer to be in when it is raining.

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I like mine to be able to get in all day, in case a storm kicks up when I'm away from home. My barn has metal siding and gets REALLY hot in the summer, so you may not be able to lock them in during the hot summer days.
    I've got stalls in the barn that I can bring them into, but I've also got smaller shelters outside that they can go in and out of all day. Are there trees or some kind of shade in your outside pen, so they can get out of the sun during the day?

5. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

The best way is access to indoors and out at will. My goats happen to be outdoor animals, only preferring to go inside during rain or really inclement weather. I much prefer them to be outside in the fresh air.

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I don't have a goat pen built yet, but at our last place, they had free run during the day, and in the barn at night. At the first drop of rain, there would be a stampede for the barn! :p Really bitter cold days I would leave them in with the door closed.

7. OntarioBorn

OntarioBorn Member

My goats are total sucks! They hate snow and rain. So we jsut leave them inside on bad days and all are happy! :p

8. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't like the idea of closing them in against thier will in any weather. What if the barn caught fire? They're standing in a bunch of flamable stuff, bedding. If it's cold or wet, they're smart enough to come in. If it's nice, they're smart enough to go out. I'd just leave em be. If all you have is one of those sliding doors, I'd go ahead and make a goat sized entrance to it, so that you don't have to crack the WHOLE door and let in the extra weather, ya know? You can also maybe add a peice of wood to open/let down so that the goats are trapped inside/outside when you are working with them and whatnot.

9. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Bedding isn't too likely to burn. It's usually compacted, and if you use deep bedding, as I do, the layers underneath are wet. (I keep the top dry -- deep bedding is much warmer than replacing with fresh bedding every day.)

My goat pen has no door on it, so the goats always have access to the outdoor pen. If it's nasty out, though, or the ground is mucky, they stay in.

Kathleen