Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was so wet this evening at chore time I actually asked my husband if he had power washed my milkroom! Humidity is high, fog is horrid and my barn has puddles on the cement. When it dries out since obviously the vapor barrier isn't working, can I seal this concrete to stop this? Will it stop it? Thanks....Vicki

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,295 Posts
Vicki, we have the same problem here farther down the Gulf Coast. I don't think the slab is sweating. I think it's condensation.... like dew falling.

My whole garage floor is sopping wet, and as there hasn't been any water in there for almost 30 years, it can't be coming UP from the slab. It's the humidity in the air condensing on the surface.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
What you are observing is dewpoint. The dewpoint temperature is the temperature at which the air can no longer hold all of its water vapor and some of the water vapor must condense into liquid water. Totally normal and the vapor barrier is not part of this.

·
Premium Member
42,702 Posts
I tend to agree, its the condensation of the moisture in the air thats causing your problem. There are a couple of things that will work. One is to heat the slab a few degrees so the water doesnt condense, the other would be to move the barn to Arizona where the air is dry. :)

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
As others said it's coming from the air and not the ground. Sealing the concrete will look nice and be easy to clean but might make it slippery especially when it gets wet. Possibly a fan to move the air?

·
Registered
711 Posts
dehumidifier is the area is not to large, have the same problem all year. Live in Washington state one mile from the ocean, the humidity is always ninety plus percent and the dew point has the same affect. don't put sealer on the floor if you have any animals that walk on it. they WILL slip and slid.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
Cold ground warm moist air..I bet your vapor barrier is fine

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had the same thing happen to us this week--I thought we had a broken pipe in the barn. It wound up being the condensation from the temp changes around here.

The fog was so thick yesterday that we couldn't see the fencelines from the house. The horses seemed to like playing hide-and-seek in it...

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the other would be to move the barn to Arizona where the air is dry

I like Yvonne's answer best :) but yep your all likely right...bummer! Thanks though! Vicki

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
dewpoint. nothing to do with the concrete itself....my tractors were dripping wet this afternoon. when warm moist air comes in contact with a cool enough surface, it will condense the moisture into a liquid. like others have pointed out. heat the slab or keep the moist air out......

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It happens in houses here in FL! When we get a warm humid spell after extended cold, the floors will sweat. That's b/c we're too cheap to run the heat when it's cold, and too cheap to run the A/C when it's warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts