Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a building project this fall and could use some input on the best possible layout for the structure. The barn/shop will be as described, a barn and work shop combined in one. I know it's not ideal but in the meantime this is what we can make happen since we are starting a small farm on 40 acres.
So what I'm looking at is to have a place I can work on my boat and farm equipment as needed in a shop type setup and also used as a barn for goats and possibly horses later on. The building will be a 30'X50' A frame with a 12' lean-to off left and right sides. The left lean-to will have a 20' section enclosed with a roll up door to house yard equipment and atv along with storage shelves. The right side lean-to will be setup for animal pens and hay storage. The building will also have attic trusses for an additional storage area(12'x50'). Floor inside building is concrete with drain in center and wash area along one wall. Outside under lean-to's will be dirt or gravel. I've never done a large barn so any type of input to get us off to a good start would be very helpful. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
just a thought as you are building a barn and don't have to work with what is already there- "possibly horses later on" I would go with 12 x 12 stalls if you can- it will give an average size horse enough room. If you are possibly thinking of a draft breed, go even larger on stall size.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. From talking to others it seems to be better to put the stalls under the lean-tos. 12x12 is a good idea. I'm still going to put one stall in the barn to have as an as needed basis for who knows what. Likely in corner also. Otherwise it will probably be used as a feed and hay storage in the meantime. Lots of options and need a barn and a shop but can't do both being a small farm.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You may want to check with your insurance agent as well re the different uses of the structure and any insurance implications....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts