Barn Red

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Jul 20, 2005.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We'll be painting the barn soon and so suddenly I have become obsessed with the many shades of barns in our area.
    I have come to learn that all barn reds are not created equal.

Some are bright and some more muted. I have come to love the deep toned ones that look almost "velvety".

Who out there has been through this? What color/brand did you pick and how do you like it?

2. modineg44

modineg44 Well-Known Member

My house and garage look like barns. They are painted with Behr's barn red with white trim.

Nancy

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

That's my plan. I LOVE Behr paint, and they do have "Barn Red".

As an aside... Ironic that I just mentioned in another thread about how many Nancys there are on HT, then the next thread I answer (this one) is to yet another.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Been there, done that! It's scary! I picked "New England Barn Red" and when we went out to see the barn after it was painted (my fishscale eaves on the house are painted the same color) it looked PURPLE!!! I was so upset and hubby just kept saying that maybe we'd get used to it. Luckily, once the trim was painted white the barn suddenly turned red.

It's really amazing how the white trim totally changed the color of the red.

Here's a photo: http://pic.funtigo.com/img/i6113538_66700.jpg

5. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

LOL! I just gave my paint choice to my painter today...there are way too many "reds". I talked the Behr operator into sending me a color fan...just looked through it and there is no "Barn Red" anymore but there is "Farmhouse Red" and "New Brick". I ended up going with something called "Sparkling Garnet" from Fuller O'Brian..it has that velvety look. Pittsburg was terrible in the red department...every color reminded me of lipstick...way too pink.

Have fun!
    --f.g.

6. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

We went with Sherwin Williams color called Aurora Brown. A beautiful deep red. You can take colors from other paint companies and Home Depot and Lowes can match it in there paints.

7. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I knew I could count on you all to know what I'm talking about!

Ravenlost, that color is beautiful! Not the cheery cherry I've been so fearing I'd get. You didn't say which company made that paint...

I've never heard of Fuller ... ??

I do know we can get Sherwin Williams here.
    Is Behr a Home Depot brand? I looked at all the chips in both home depot and lowes and didn't see any barn reds....

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I don't know about Home Depot, but at Lowes you can take in anything and have them match the color. (or at least, you used to be able to do that, I guess you still can)

9. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

Be very careful picking a red for a barn or house. A lot of the reds will fade to pink colors before too long. Our old neighbor painted their new garage, that was next to their barn, red and within a short time it was pink -ugly pink. Not far from me here a young couple bought a ranch and painted all the buildings red. It's been about two years and it is also turning pink.

We used True Value Barn Red on our old place. The color held up well and it was readily available in 5 gallon buckets. If you can find a barn in your area that is the color you want stop and ask what they used.

Be leery of any paint not specifically for barns and maybe ask about fading and see if there is a guarantee.

10. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Red does turn pink in a few years. I am painting some mechanic shops red, had trouble with Sherwin Willams red. Took several coats and needed a clear coat to keep it red longer. Now using ici red. They are making it special for us. Covers better, no clear coat needed but cost $90/gallon. I save a lot on labor with it so it works out about the same as the $30 paint. If I was painting a barn it would not be red for the above reasons. Pick a color that will not fade.

11. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

Sequoia Red, is a beautiful burnt brownish red color. It was Coast-to-Coast paint before they renamed themselves Ace Hardware in the midwest. My dad had bought 20 gallons intending to their ranch house, but decided to reside instead. That was the color they had on their house before. I did our 2 hog barns with it, a picnic table and other outdoor furniture. The problem was the bright barn red on our large barn and granery were a shocking difference. Got lots of nice comments on the new color. don't know if you can still get it, though. the neat thing was, it was a dark enough coor, I took my granfather and an old-timer at the hardware store's advice. The wood was pretty much bare of paint. Instead of going broke buying primer, I used the old linseed oil treatment i could not believe how easy it was, how nice it turned out, and how it held up so well for yrs. and yrs. My grandpa had just said use linseed oil (don't use it under white or very shades of paint as it will yellow the paint). It's so very thick, when I went back to the store to buy more the old-timer siad to thin it with paint thinner. That worked like a charm. Really saves money on oil primer.

12. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

The best way is to find a Town that has been painted red one time too many.

Copy that color and use it to paint the barn.

PS: The people who paint towns red are usually not worth a damn helping you paint the barn. :buds:

13. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll ask my husband what brand it was tonight. I went out in the garage to check, but he has his air compressor and a huge box of something sitting in front of the cabinet where all the paint cans are stored.

14. Lindy

Lindy New Member

Hi, I painted my chicken coop a "red fox" color from Kilz paints. It is a deep, darker red, not the red I saw on the fox at my place - he was almost orange. I got the paint from Walmart. The guy mixing the paint got a kick out of painting a hen house "red fox". Slow day in the paint dept., I guess.