Barn plans- Homestead designs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jul 17, 2004.

1. I am intersted in homestead designs " monitor" style barns.

http://www.homesteaddesign.com/

Has any one built one of these? If so what do you think about it? Also is there any disadvantages to the monitor type design rather than the others with the upper floor the same size as the lower floor level?

2. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Before DH and I moved from Dallas, we had a company that built garages and storage buildings build the Concord for us. The main part was 16 x 24 with a 8 x 16 bump out (shed roof part) and a 16 x 16 loft area. The walls were 12 ft high. We loved it, and remarked many times that it would make a darling guest house. We made photos everyday of the construction process and that helped tremendously when we built one ourselves.

When we moved here to our property in Arkansas, we duplicated the Concord except that we made the main part 20 x 36 with a 10 x 20 bump out. We brought the roof out further making a covered porch area where the bump out is. If you notice on the Concord, the shed roof only covers the building part. That was the only thing on our other building that we didn't like. The loft upstairs is 20 x 28. The wall height is 14 ft with a 7/12 pitch on the main roof and a 4/12 on the shed roof over the bump out.

So, then it came to building our house and we basically did a combo of the Concord and the Austin in design and brought the shed roof all the way around for a wrap around porch. Again we did 14 ft side walls. The main part is 20 x 32 and the 2 bump outs are 10 x 20 and 10 x 16. The porch is 10 ft deep. The house is very open. The loft area is 20 x 16. Again, we left the bump out/shed roof areas open and used large engineered beams for support. Inside, it has the feel of a timber frame house.

The only supporting walls you have are the side walls. We left the bump out open in the shop and used three 18 inch x 2 inch laminated engineered beams across that space The I-joists are 14 inch on 19 inch centers. In the first one we had built they used 2 x 12's and they didn't do well over the 16 ft span.

Building materials have gone up substantially since we built the shop. The one we had built in Dallas cost us $14K plus another $5K in finishout. The shop we built here in Arkansas ourselves cost us $24K with the finishout. The house has run a lot more mostly because of the finishout and instead of a slab, we did a large crawl space and small basement.

If you have any further questions, pm me direct.

Charlee

3. Im wondering what you mean by the " finish out" when it comes to how much your places cost. Do you have any pictures of the framing stages? I am also wondering about the 2x12's not being able to take a 16 foot span? thank you for your reply.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I feel really stupid. :eek: I can't find a 'monitor' style at that site? Thay have 4 pages of barn styles, but none of that name could find I.

--->Paul

5. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

rambler, click the link, click Barns, and the first barn The Austin, has "monitor" style right under that heading.

6. Al Tent

Al Tent Member

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, I only was looking at the big type, not the smaller text. Guess several of them are monitor types. Unfamiliar with such designs in my part of the midwest.

More free plans for much building stuff including barns is at:

http://www.cps.gov.on.ca/english/planmenu.htm

--->Paul

8. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

We built a monitor barn, love it. If you send me your address I will mail you a picture...Joan :)

9. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

I'm terrible at all this computer stuff, but if you pm me with your e-mail addy, I will e-mail you photos of our house and shop.

BTW, these barn plans are so simple, you don't need to order them. Just get you a piece of paper or napkin and draw away.

Charlee