barn living

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sandave88, Sep 9, 2005.

1. sandave88

sandave88 Well-Known Member

I noticed a few people had posting of living in a barn for a time while building or working on their homes. I had a question. We are purchasing land with a house and barn and the barn has 2 apartments inside. I was wondering since the land barn and house have been empty for about 10 years what should I look for or do to make it ready to move in. Mostly concerned about the barn because the house will be awhile. THANKS :stars:

2. sandave88

Give me your stories I just know there is something living in the barn. :D

3. wehes5

wehes5 Some dream; Others DO

I would live in the most livable spot that is ready. Then work on the house and then get the apartments ready for visitors...rent them out? may be an option to pay land taxes...Good Luck. We are starting with an empty spot of land...but we are going to put a 32 foot camper to live in while we build and have some drawings of what we plan to do.

4. sandave88

Thanks on the luck. We were starting with a trailer but it had too much water damage. It also is on the land. Luck to you.

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Like I said int hat other thread, tons of people live in the upstairs of their garage while they build a house, here in Maine.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I gutted my house here once and used it as a barn... just a roof and open stud walls, few inside walls.

then I rebuilt it into a house, so I had to do it all, wires, light water heat ect new.

a proper normal barn i dont imagine would be much harder, its all just a matter of making sure its sound, and then putting the stuff in... walls wire pipe ect.

Ive seen lots of barns that in retrospect, would actually be easier to do than my house redo.

7. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Start with having the wiring and plumbing checked out.

Make sure the roof doesn't leak.

Exterminate rodents and bugs.

Clean.

Repair walls, ceilings, doors, windows so that you will be warm enough and comfortable and safe.

Move in.