Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has a small barn/greenhouse that are connected say, side by side, or a barn that is half utility, half greenhouse.

I intend on getting a tractor and it will have to be housed in the barn... But before I start looking into barns I wanted to see how complicated it would be to add a greenhouse to the side of it. The reason I would like it to be attached is because of the permitting required. I don't want to resubmit for another permit for another structure on my property. If I get one permit for two buildings attached, it will save me time and money.

Are there any pros/cons for having a greenhouse attached to a barn, even by a simple door if nothing more? If it matters, this structure will be built in Michigan.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have considered this as well. One concern I have is will the humidity get high in the summer and if so what effect will it have on the barn? Will all that moisture get into the barn and rust metal objects?

Michigan is an awesome place. I have lots of family in south western Michigan.

Terry

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
If you keep any kind of feed in the barn the humidity from the greenhouse will affect it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I won't have feed. Mostly greenhouse supplies, tractor equipment and small workshop. Weatherproofing the door might help, or maybe a breezeway. Good points, never truly considered humidity seeping into the barn.

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
No problem with moisture with mine. Shop is dry enough that I store my onions in there. It is a wood working shop so lots of sawdust around. No door or window between greenhouse and shop, wall is cement block painted dark color. I have black plastic water troughs for fish against that wall, stacked 2 high on racks. I left small gaps at the bottom of blocks for air to enter, warm and rise. A board at the top controls air flow, to greenhouse or to shop. I have a solar heater attached to heat air and water. I poured a concrete footing all around and put 2 rows of block up except for the doorway. I used an insulated storm door with operating window and a louvered window at the other end for ventilation. Also have 2 clear plastic RV vents in roof that open. Block wall is vertical but glazed wall slants toward the shop, roof is 3/12 pitch, lean-to. Roof and end walls are 3 cell greenhouse panels, wall is 2 layers of corrugated fiberglass with an air gap between. Redwood frame. I use shade cloth to control heat in warm weather. Greenhouse is small, 8'x6' on the south end of a 8'x12' shop....James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts