Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished my goat barn 14x24 and I am not sure what to do on the inside as for as stalls, etc. ! Do I need to make a couple of stalls or not? I have three boar does and don't plan on having over eight at any given time I need some advice on what to do next! I already have a place to put hay and feed.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
I have a 16 x 16 and I didnt know how to start either on mine. this is what I did.you will need a stall or two for kidding season or sick bay. First I needed a milk room, so I divided with an 8 foot hay feeder and another wire wall with a gate to make my room.Then I built gates and attached to the wall that I can shut to close off an 8x8 stall and leave 8 by 16 loafing pen. well then I had 2 does due at the same time and I built another gate to close off another section which gives me two stalls if I need it.When not in use they are strapped to the wall to open up the barn to the goats.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
The best homemade stalls are made with big hook and eye latches so they can be disassembled. Then when it is time to clean, take them apart and set them aside and clean. If you can get a back blade for your tractor or lawn/garden tractor, you can scrape the barn out, then set the stalls back up. Saves back-breaking labor.

Also, hook and eye-connected stalls can be reconfigured for other uses, like as a crowding chute or whatever.

My one barn stall is a pickup truck rack. Works great, pins together, moveable. One is all I ever needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts