Barn Building

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tadpole, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

Ok, I've got my barn build almost. I need to know how to fix the stalls and the feeding area? Got any Ideas? I have 11 goats. Alpine
    All the help will be greatfull. I do all the work by myself. My husband stays on the road trucking. So I need easy things. Got my tin all up today and boy am I tired. But, it had to be done, and I'm going to have a barn this year and there is little time left. Help me please line it out. How much room do they need in each stall?

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I build all my goat barns myself too. Don't know if this might help but I make stalls using wood pallets. By nailing them together you can make any size stall you want and they're nice and sturdy. And best of all you can collect them free from a lot of places.

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I did the same thing, built mine in 3 days.I had help from hubby though. Its 16x16.The milk room is 8x8 and it is divided with 8 foot hay manger feeder on one wall. The other wall is wire and I built gates that tie back against the wall when not needed.
    Then when I need to make a stall ,I open the gate to make an 8x8 stall for kidding.I can post pictures if I remember how. Or send them Email if you want to see.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

Love your set up. I am looking for a similar set up to build on our acreage. The pictures give some great ideas!

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Everyone is going to have different ideas... Regardless of your set up, I have a few suggestions that have saved me lots of time and energy. One, my feeders are "fillable" without having to actually go into the area the goats are in - they stick their heads out through hog wire panels to get to their hay and grain. This only works with dehorned goats. Second - I have left enough space that the goats don't crowd each other, potentially ramming and hurting each other while feeding. And third, water is outside the pen and accessible through head sized openings, so they aren't contantly dumped over, easy to fill, and again, so I don't have to go in the pen with the goats. I hate being goat-mauled, their attempt to be the ONLY goat being petted. I do my pampering by letting them out a couple at a time or when they're out in the pasture.

6. Tadpole

Tadpole Tadpole

Thank you so much for all your Ideas and I needed to hear about the pallets also. I ca get them in my yard. Ha! Like I said my husband is a trucker and hauls with and without pallets. Can't tell how you enought how you all helped me out. Well get started today on some of this.

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I've used pallets for making pens also, but they only work for my lamanchas. My alpine and nubian cross does can hop right over those. The bigger girls have 5' high X 6' long panels I build from two X fours and field fencing. I run an additional two X four across the bottom, at about ramming head high, because as everyone knows, two goats that have always been together will suddenly feel the urge to ram each other through a pen wall. I hook the panels together by screwing eye hooks in the edges and running a piece of 6' rebar (with the end bent over) through the eye hooks. This makes 6 X 6 pens which house two large does nicely. My goats are only penned up for the month before they kid, otherwise I have large communal areas about 20 X 20. My barn looks very much like the pictures above, with a wood floor for the milking/tack/feed area, and dirt floors for the pen areas. Another thing I forgot - make your penning area accessable to the outside, preferably with a slider capable of allowing your front end loader (if you have one) to do the heavy work. I only clean my barn once a year, and doing it by hand (20 X 20 X 24" deep) is a killer. I can disassemble the pens and just run the tractor scoop in there.

8. red hott farmer

red hott farmer A servant

Oberhaslikid,
    Do you have exterior photos? also It is 16X16 but what is your height ? I love what I see here. Thanks for the great photos! and in one photo ( the second one) Where you have the milking stand - The other side where the goats are eating is that enclosed or open to the outside? thanks